Need 35mm f/2 suggestions on where to buy

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Edrod13, Aug 6, 2007.

1. I have seen many of these for sale, but for some reason I am always late or do not have the funds to make it happen. This is a very hot lens and I would really like to replace my 50mm 1.8 since I find it a bit too long for my type of pics.

A couple of days ago, the 50mm really saved my butt because my nephew had his b-day party at the local bowling alley and I wanted to give him some pics as a keepsake. It really never occurred to me that flash would not be allowed since It could distract other players in the near by lanes. So I had no choice but to take my 28-75 f/2.8 ( that has been glued to camera ever since I purchased it ) off my camera and put on the 50mm. It was somewhat dark and I was getting something like 1/40-1/60 at f/2.2-3.4 or so. All in all once I ran them through some NN and CS2, they came out pretty good. Good enough for him and my sister in law to be excited and appreciative. Earlier this week I read a thread where Uncle Frank mentioned that why aren't more people just buying them new since they go for about $319 and that includes the 5 year warranty and FREE shipping in some cases. So after thinking about this I have decided to just buy one new instead of saving a few bucks, but would like to see what retailers you guys and girls can suggest. BH has it for $319, does this sound like the best deal? thanks in Advanced and sorry for the long story, just made me realize how important it is to have a small fast prime in my bag because you just never know when you might need it!

2. Hi, Eddie! Unless there are meaningful savings involved, I always buy from B&H or Adorama. Why take a chance on a lesser rated etailer for $5 or $10 bucks? Meanwhile, the 35/2 is a great addition for less than $325!

I got a lot of use out of mine this weekend, covering a friend's son, Derek, who was competing in the "Alcatraz Swim or Die" event. It was damp, sandy, and salty where I was shooting, and I preferred using the 35/2 over my expensive 28-70/2.8. Besides, the day started at 6:15AM at Crissy Field, so the extra f/stop came in very handy.

View attachment 109841

And even when it was lighter out, the 35mm FOV worked out perfectly for catching contestants coming out of the water.

View attachment 109842

The 35/2 also came in handy for random snaps at Fisherman's Wharf later on in the day.

View attachment 109843

View attachment 109844

View attachment 109845

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2007
  3. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    I bought my Tamron from BuyDig.com, which was selling it for $40 less than B&H. I contacted BuyDig to ask if they were a Tamron authorized dealer and I contacted Tamron to ask how BuyDig was as a retailer and Tamron confirmed that they are excellent retailers. They don't always have lower prices and don't have a large selection of lenses, but you can check with BuyDig...or do FROOGLE.COM and see if there are significant savings on the lens, but I've found that the differences from B&H to other retailers are generally only $10 unless you're going to the used market...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2007
  4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I have bought from Buydig with good results.

5. I picked up a very nice used one from B&H for $229 several months ago. It looks just like new to me.