Need a gimble for my 200/400

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by TomP, Apr 9, 2007.

1. I read here somewhere about a gimble (sic?) that made it practical to use a monopod in an action setting with a long lens. I thought it was a RRS item, but they said it was not. I remember someone saying it was about $30 and allowed very free movement. I got my my replacement lens, but the weather has not been the best. I have a few shots posted in the airplane forum. heres one.

B29 looping!, RC

large.

2. HappyFish

HappyFish

Oct 19, 2006
    The only "gimble" head I can think of is the Wimberly, but you use that on a big tripod. Its a great head and you can swing on birds with it so airplanes would be duck soup.

3. Thanks Robert, but as I recall this is not a head, but something like a little universal joint, and was not $$$. I read here it somewhere in lens lust.

4. ZBaum

ZBaum Guest

5. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

6. Hokum

Hokum

Jun 20, 2006
    Pennines UK
    Try the manfrotto 393 its designed for monopods, but i use mine on my tripod.

7. Mr. Gonzo is on the right track, but the Jobu that I use specifically for the 200-400 is the Jobu Jr. Compact. This simple gimbal is more than adequate for the 200-400, I have, in a pinch, even used it with my 400 f2.8. Jobu has a slightly newer design, check the Gimbals link on the page, of the Compact as well. The one link listed from B&H would certainly work, but you don't need to spend that much.

A couple of other posters have shown the little Bogen tilt-head, which I have on a monopod. I would NOT recommend this for your application, as the "tilt-ability" is not nearly as smooth as you would llike and you cannot ever take you hands off the camera without tightening the head down. With the Jobu gimbal once you balance the lens you can simply let it sit there by itself, it won't move.

I have not used mine on a monopod, but if I was, this would be the one I'd use, without a doubt.

8. There are three that I know about that might work well with a monopod. They are:
    Manfrotto 393
    Kirk King Cobra
    Wimberley Head (WH-200)
    I have the Manfrotto and the Wimberley but have used either on my momopod. I think the Manfrotto might be the better choice for a single leg support as I'm having trouble envisioning a Wimberley in use on one.

There are others, like the Mongoose, and Jobu that might not lend themselves to monopod shooting.

9. Bracer

Bracer

Feb 20, 2006
    Markham, Ontario
    Tom,
    I think you might be thinking of this:
    http://www.adorama.com/BG3232.html
    as mentioned here:
    http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/tutorials/monopods/index.html

I have used my 200-400 on one of these and it worked out fine. For a more stable solution I use one of these:
    http://www.jobu-design.com/catalog/item/2588354/2040287.htm

10. rsprouse

rsprouse

Jan 25, 2006
    Encinitas CA
    I have a Bogen 3232 on my monopod, topped with a RRS Lever-Clamp quick release. It supports the 200-400 just fine. But it will never be as smooth as a gimbal. I also have a Wimberley Sidekick, and can mount that onto the above combination, providing the smoothness.

But the OP wanted something inexpensive, so the 3232 with an inexpensive QR is probably what he was after.

-- Russ

11. I use a Markins m20 balled with a sidekick and love it with the 200-400VR

12. Greg V

Greg V

Feb 19, 2007
    SE Michigan
    I also use the Wimberley Sidekick with great results. It provides the flexibility if you already own a ballhead.

13. Pixelographer

Pixelographer

Dec 22, 2006
    Ditto on q-ball/sidekick. No better way to pan for wildlife shots from a stable position w/o spending $$$ for full wimberley.
    Dave