Need a high quality print scanning service...

G

Gordon Large

I have a couple of 8x10s that were given to me, and I would like to get scans of them. One major problem - I don't have a print scanner and obviously don't want to buy one for this limited use.

I would really appreciate suggestions of scanning services that produce top quality work. If they are within driving distance of Philly that would be nice, but not necessary.

Thanks!

Gordon

G

Gordon Large

Thanks, Paul. Your comments ring true when I think of the qualitly of almost all printing services.

So now I have two questions:

The original - I have a couple of 8x10s that were given to me, and I would like to get scans of them. One major problem - I don't have a print scanner and obviously don't want to buy one for this limited use. I would really appreciate suggestions of scanning services that produce top quality work. If they are within driving distance of Philly that would be nice, but not necessary.

And now - Are there any Cafe members within driving distance of Philly who have a top grade scanner, really know what the are doing, are withing driving distance of Philly and ?

Thanks,

Gordon

Gordon,

Do you need CMYK scans, or RGB? What is the intended use, what resolution do you need on them? And finally, how urgent is this? :)

Gordon have you tried making picture of them with your camera, I have posted a few on the site made that way and if your careful you can have as good a quality as if they were scannned.

G

Gordon Large

Hi Iliah -

Iliah said:
Gordon,

Do you need CMYK scans, or RGB? What is the intended use, what resolution do you need on them? And finally, how urgent is this? :)

RGB to be able to print 8x10 duplicates on an inkjet and also produce JPEGs for the web. I'm no expert in printing, but my understanding is that anything in the 250-300 dpi range is plenty for an inkjet. Not urgent at all. one problem may be that the prints I have are themselves inkjet prints, not real photos. I've heard that this might cause problems with many scanners.

I'm intrigued to see where you are going with this.

Thanks,

Gordon

G

Gordon Large

Hi Gilles -

Gilles said:
Gordon have you tried making picture of them with your camera, I have posted a few on the site made that way and if your careful you can have as good a quality as if they were scannned.

I hadn't even thought about that! What kind of lighting do you need? I don't have studio equipment.

Thanks,

Gordon

Gordon,

To try it with your camera you will probably need a flash, a stand, and a medium size light box. I would also get 5 matt black cardboards, and a white one to mount the original images on. But of course a white 300W flood halogen light from Home Depot on a stand bounced from the white wall and a tripod will do 75% of the quality. Barn doors will add 10% more. Deep lens hood (self-made, if necessary) simplifies the task greatly.

I have good drum scanner, but my schedule for next week is pretty tight.

Iliah look for "in the shadow of my mind 2" those picture have been all copied using my 5700 on a tripod as far away from the picture as I could so not to have my reflection on the picture. I put the picture in a paper holder that kind of thing you use when you are typing a copy of a sheet to hold it. I put that holder on the freezer in the basement and the lighting come from above, fluorescent light, nothing special. If your picture are color maybe you will have to make very small correction if you have a color cast.

I have once have them copied through a scanner and did'nt came out right, I saw to much of the photographic paper defect, not as so with using a camera.

You might have to copy a little wider because the size of the sensor don't match exactly the size of an 8x10, you just have to crop all around the picture you took with a program (I used Nikon View)

G

Gordon Large

Iliah said:
I have good drum scanner, but my schedule for next week is pretty tight.

Iliah -

Getting all that gear just doesn't make sense. Timing is not an issue, so let me know when you might have time. Meanwhile I'll keep looking closer to home and see if I can get lucky.

Thanks -

Gordon

Gordon,

I live in Marlton-Medford area of NJ which is about 20mi East of Philly and I have an Epson Perfection 2450 which I am sure will satisfy your need. I have even scanned 4x5 transparencies on it.

If you are up to the trip you can use it for nothing. Send me a PM if you are interested.

John

G

Gordon Large

sfoxjohn said:
Gordon,

I live in Marlton-Medford area of NJ which is about 20mi East of Philly and I have an Epson Perfection 2450 which I am sure will satisfy your need. I have even scanned 4x5 transparencies on it.

If you are up to the trip you can use it for nothing. Send me a PM if you are interested.

John

Hi John -

Thanks for offering to help! I found someone near where I live and should know early in the week whether he and his equipment have done a good job. If not, I'll be back to you (and Iliah) to take advantage of your offers. The drive to Marlton-Medford is an easy one from Blue Bell.

Gordon

K

Ken-L

You can buy a "no frills", basic, very inexpensive scanner that would probably do the job..... if you don't want to keep it for these "once in a while" needs, give it to a church or school and take the tax deduction.

Latest threads

Top Bottom