Need a little critique - need to be better for a job

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by mikefitz6, Aug 8, 2007.

1. I have a chance to be working for a photographer in September. I hear he is a real perfectionist :wink:

Anyway, could you look at the shots and give me some feedback.

I am wondering if I should get a TC1.4 to get in closer. It seems the more I crop, the less detail I can show. I am using a D200. 70-200 VR, Nikon 300mm f4. Will shooting at f5.6/420mm pull in too much of the porta potties in the background? I will use a tripod for most of the games.

So are they oversaturated? Over cropped? Do any of the shots pull you in or are they ho-hum. I usually pull back and show the whole scene. I thought the facial expressions were the point of these shots, but I think I like the shots backed out to show all the action.

Heck, I don't know. I took a sleeping pill so I should not even be doing this tonight.

I don't think they are bad. I want to know how to make them better - and please no 'get some one else to shoot for you!" cracks...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks

Michael

2. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I think your shots looks pretty darn good myself. I know what you mean about losing detail when having to crop too much. The best thing you can do it keep on shooting and trying different settings to see which works the best for you.

3. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

michael,

check out my page and the lacrosse shots... they mostly are all taken with a 300 f4 @ f5.6 ..... i dont know how fast the f4 will focus with a TC ...but im sure MANY of the guys here have tryed it and could tell you

and BTW ... your photo's look GREAT man i REALLY like 3 , 4 , 6 but dang... they are all good .... !

4. i like #1,3 and the last one (even tho the last one looks slightly oof)
    technically they are all fine but imo soccer shots need the ball

5. the 300/4 afs w/ 1.4 tc focuses very fast in good light
    i would not use a tc w/ the 70-200 tho

6. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    You've got some nice shots here, but you'll have to ask the photographer hiring you what type of shots he needs. If these will be for publications such as newspapers, magazines, etc, I agree with Randy that you must have the ball in the frame. If these will be for sale to the athletes, then the ball in the frame would be nice, but you absolutely must be able to clearly see the primary subjects face.

The 70-200 is not exactly a fast focusing lens and I find it quite slow so it is one my last choices to use so I would not place a TC on that sucker.

7. Thanks all,

This is the kind of information I was looking for. I expect different opinions on what is good or bad, within reason. I can still get a general feeling of what people like. I thought I might try some different kinds of crops in this series to see what people thought. I usually go for face-ball-opponent shots. Had I been paying attention, I would not have posted the last shot because it is OOF, but I will leave it because Randy already commented on it. Alex, I like your point that it is up to the photographer I am working for what the shots should be. I have a feeling that I am getting a good idea what he likes. By the way, I will be shooting for Topher!

Thanks again

Michael