Need a little help with blown highlights...

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by bwilder10h, Apr 6, 2007.

1. This shot might be beyond fixing but...

This lady is an employee of my bro-in-law and has been with him the longest. She was at a recent reception with her husband who had just suffered a stroke. I really wanted to surprise her with a print of her and her husband in a frame but I got too close to them when I took the photo and completely blew them out. I didn't get a opportunity for a second chance. If someone could take a peek and see if there is hope, I would appreciate it.

[​IMG]

Here is a link to the original. These are straight out of the camera.

http://bwilder.smugmug.com/photos/141545533-O.jpg

2. I tried but didn't do so well. A B&W conversion did look better, and it was easy to use the burn tool in PS CS2 to reduce the brightness on the forehead. I'm not a real pro with the brushes just yet so I'm hoping someone else does better with it. Also not sure if you would crop it, I would if I was giving it to them to remove the people from the background.

[​IMG]

3. Tough one....:frown: Maybe a little better...not much :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

4. yeah... I'm thinking this one is a lost cause... :frown:

5. Here's my version: original.

Briefly, my steps were to duplicate layer, copy layer, make layer mask on 2nd layer, paste copy into mask of 2nd layer, paint color on the 2nd layer, adjust the color using hue/saturation, apply levels to mask to adjust the area the paint was applied, apply the mask, create new mask, cleanup with eraser to mask.

Flatten, repeat for a total of 3 times to his face and 2 times to hers.

Added more saturation, shadow/highlights adjustment, and a little burn.

If you like it, email or pm me, and I'll send you the full size. :)

6. That looks nice Miriam. PM sent

7. Brian... how'd you do it :biggrin:

It looks good but there seems to be some strange colors in the skin. I appreciate you giving it a go...

8. Peano

Peano

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, D.C.
  9. Peano, that looks fantastic... how did you do that????

10. Marcos

Marcos

Nov 20, 2005
    FL, USA.
    That's the best of all Peano,
    Congratulations!
    Marc.

11. Peano

Peano

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, D.C.
    Thanks. For the (almost) blown areas, I painted with skin tones on a blank layer in multiply mode. I also applied a couple of warming filters selectively on skin. Also made a selective color adjustment in the reds and yellows aimed at skin tones.

For the glare on the glasses, painted on a blank layer in normal mode. You have to zoom way in and use a small brush to paint in whatever the glare is obscuring. A little imagination helps with that. :cool:

To darken the background, I opened another blank layer in multiply mode and painted with black. Oh, and I took out the name tags with the clone stamp tool.

12. Excellent! Thanks for the instructions, Peano.

13. Peano

Peano

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, D.C.
    Thanks, Marc. I just toured your website and enjoyed the photos of Miami and Ft. Lauderdale very much. Back in the 1970s, I lived for a year in Lauderdale and three years in Miami (Little Havana). Your pics brought back pleasant memories. I love South Florida.

14. Peano

Peano

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, D.C.
    You're most welcome, Miriam. Thank you.

15. Great job Dave !!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

16. Peano

Peano

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, D.C.
    Thanks, Mike. I had to resist the urge to place your avatar in there peeping over their shoulders.

17. Yes Peano How did you do that?
    Great job

18. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    LOL@Dave and Mike

19. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent fix Peano