Need a little help with blown highlights...

This shot might be beyond fixing but...

This lady is an employee of my bro-in-law and has been with him the longest. She was at a recent reception with her husband who had just suffered a stroke. I really wanted to surprise her with a print of her and her husband in a frame but I got too close to them when I took the photo and completely blew them out. I didn't get a opportunity for a second chance. If someone could take a peek and see if there is hope, I would appreciate it.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here is a link to the original. These are straight out of the camera.

http://bwilder.smugmug.com/photos/141545533-O.jpg

I tried but didn't do so well. A B&W conversion did look better, and it was easy to use the burn tool in PS CS2 to reduce the brightness on the forehead. I'm not a real pro with the brushes just yet so I'm hoping someone else does better with it. Also not sure if you would crop it, I would if I was giving it to them to remove the people from the background.

Tough one....:frown: Maybe a little better...not much :rolleyes:

Here's my version:

Briefly, my steps were to duplicate layer, copy layer, make layer mask on 2nd layer, paste copy into mask of 2nd layer, paint color on the 2nd layer, adjust the color using hue/saturation, apply levels to mask to adjust the area the paint was applied, apply the mask, create new mask, cleanup with eraser to mask.

Flatten, repeat for a total of 3 times to his face and 2 times to hers.

Added more saturation, shadow/highlights adjustment, and a little burn.

If you like it, email or pm me, and I'll send you the full size. :)

Brian... how'd you do it :biggrin:

It looks good but there seems to be some strange colors in the skin. I appreciate you giving it a go...

I cropped this and set the print size at 8 x 6, which is about as big as you can go with this one.

You can download the full-size here if you want it:
http://download.yousendit.com/31B8070B32E29FE2

Peano, that looks fantastic... how did you do that????
Thanks. For the (almost) blown areas, I painted with skin tones on a blank layer in multiply mode. I also applied a couple of warming filters selectively on skin. Also made a selective color adjustment in the reds and yellows aimed at skin tones.

For the glare on the glasses, painted on a blank layer in normal mode. You have to zoom way in and use a small brush to paint in whatever the glare is obscuring. A little imagination helps with that. :cool:

To darken the background, I opened another blank layer in multiply mode and painted with black. Oh, and I took out the name tags with the clone stamp tool.

Thanks. For the (almost) blown areas, I painted with skin tones on a blank layer in multiply mode. I also applied a couple of warming filters selectively on skin. Also made a selective color adjustment in the reds and yellows aimed at skin tones.

For the glare on the glasses, painted on a blank layer in normal mode. You have to zoom way in and use a small brush to paint in whatever the glare is obscuring. A little imagination helps with that. :cool:

To darken the background, I opened another blank layer in multiply mode and painted with black. Oh, and I took out the name tags with the clone stamp tool.
Excellent! Thanks for the instructions, Peano.

That's the best of all Peano,
Congratulations!
Marc.
Thanks, Marc. I just toured your website and enjoyed the photos of Miami and Ft. Lauderdale very much. Back in the 1970s, I lived for a year in Lauderdale and three years in Miami (Little Havana). Your pics brought back pleasant memories. I love South Florida.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom