Need a little help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Panos Kazanelis, Oct 16, 2005.

...and the winner is...

Poll closed Oct 30, 2005.

4 vote(s)
    7.7%

3 vote(s)
    5.8%

38 vote(s)
    73.1%

6 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. None

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I would strongly suggest you drop photography and pursue a cooking career

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. Dear all...
    I'm planning to perticipate in a photo competition, in the "Sunsets Category"... and since I am between 4 candidate photos I thought of throwing a poll in the cafe and let you decide :wink:

Should you have any comments, please, feel free to share...

Here they are...

#1 - "Lonely Light"
    original.

#2 - "Warm Reflections"
    View attachment 16911

#3 - "Sandstorm"
    View attachment 16912

#4 - "No Wind"
    View attachment 16913

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2005
  2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Panos,
    All very nice.
    However I think number one and 4.
    4 for the uniqness of the windmill. Not to many people with windmills.

So 4 first and 1 second.

Like shootin craps Panos LOLOL

As a side note, I can see the sharpening on the wind mill.. I you use the blur too, nestled with the smudge tool , very small and opacity of about 30 you can very nicely remove the halo.

4. Hi Panos,

What a difficult choice!! They are all splendid.

If forced, I will choose #3, for the simple reason it has the most impact on me as a viewer. Conveys a sense of texture and vastness.

Good luck in the contest!

Best wishes,

David

5. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Panos,
    I'm no judge, but I looked long and hard at #3 -- beautiful composition and lighting

6. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Because it is different

I voted for #3.

7. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    As I started looking when I saw No. 1 I thought "nice". No. 2 "nice". No. 3--"Whoa, got to stop and look at this one for a minute!!! It is very unusual and really got an emotional reaction from me when I saw it. No. 4 is another "nice" photo. They are all very good. No. 3 just has a WOW factor to it.

8. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Number 3

Panos:

I think all four shots are good ones. You probably can't go wrong with any of 'em.

My personal barometer for judging photos is this: The longer my eye wants to linger on a picture and explore its contents, the better the shot. (2-3 seconds = only okay; 4-5 seconds = good pix; 6-9 seconds = great shot; 10 seconds or longer = We've got a winner!)

Having said that, I voted for No. 3. The depth of field draws your eye back and forth through the image several times and it has a surreal feel to it. Quite frankly, my eye wanted to explore this pix more than the others. (I definitely looked at that image for more than 10 seconds.)

If I could make a suggestion, however, it would be to crop a little bit more off the top of the image so it's not as balanced. I think that'll help improve it even more.

Good luck!

9. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Panos

## hands down pal.

Know why? It's moody...other worldly..and nobody else is going to have something a non typical as this shot.

I've been in enough competitions now to know that different and or different and moody is what takes home prizes.

Kinda wish I had shot it :) 

10. They are all very nice shots but for me #3 is the very best with the green wines in the foreground, makes me think about early evenings with good company having a nice glass of wine

Let us know how it goes in the competition!

11. Easy, #3. The leaves play off well with the burnt orange glow; very surreal. Nice work, really!

Rich

12. Just voted for #3, too- I can still remember how I loved it when you first posted it.

Cheers

13. Panos, I vote number 3, because it is the most striking and also.... the most Greek.

14. All very nice shots.

I like #3. It is a different and creative shot and not the normal "Sunset" shot. I like the green in the shot as well.

15. Panos, I voted for #3. :smile: Just thought it was the best of an excellent lot.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

16. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    I really like number 3! I think the windmill far off in number 2 took it out of the running. I would like to see that picture with it cloned out.

17. #3.
    Definitely my pick.
    In Texas windmills are everywhere.
    My mom and her Coolpix have lots like 1 and 2.

#3 on the other hand. Very nice.
    Unique
    Surreal
    Well composed
    "other-worldly" lighting
    the green is striking contrast against the sky.
    distant haze is perfect

Please let us know how it flies with the judges.

BTW I like your pbase shots. I'm guessing your "Paparazzi Shots" gallery gets more than a few hits, eh?? :biggrin: Another BTW...you are a "paperazzo"...paparazzi is plural. Great galleries.
    Good to get to know a "Nikoncafe official photog" Panos!!!...exellent. Love the badge.

18. Without scrolling down the page to read all the votes, #3 hands down, without a moment's hesitation, and it had nothing to do with grapes *LOL*, I love the mood it invokes.

19. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    #3 for me too! Wow, what an amazing shot. It's a winner for sure!

20. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    If you can cook like you photograph then I want a lifetime membership to your restaurant.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.