Need a little help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Panos Kazanelis, Oct 16, 2005.

...and the winner is...

Poll closed Oct 30, 2005.

4 vote(s)
    7.7%

3 vote(s)
    5.8%

38 vote(s)
    73.1%

6 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. None

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I would strongly suggest you drop photography and pursue a cooking career

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. Dear all...
    I'm planning to perticipate in a photo competition, in the "Sunsets Category"... and since I am between 4 candidate photos I thought of throwing a poll in the cafe and let you decide :wink:

Should you have any comments, please, feel free to share...

Here they are...

#1 - "Lonely Light"
    original.

#2 - "Warm Reflections"
    View attachment 16911

#3 - "Sandstorm"
    View attachment 16912

#4 - "No Wind"
    View attachment 16913

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2005
  2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Panos,
    All very nice.
    However I think number one and 4.
    4 for the uniqness of the windmill. Not to many people with windmills.

So 4 first and 1 second.

Like shootin craps Panos LOLOL

As a side note, I can see the sharpening on the wind mill.. I you use the blur too, nestled with the smudge tool , very small and opacity of about 30 you can very nicely remove the halo.

4. Hi Panos,

What a difficult choice!! They are all splendid.

If forced, I will choose #3, for the simple reason it has the most impact on me as a viewer. Conveys a sense of texture and vastness.

Good luck in the contest!

Best wishes,

David

5. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Panos,
    I'm no judge, but I looked long and hard at #3 -- beautiful composition and lighting

6. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Because it is different

I voted for #3.

7. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    As I started looking when I saw No. 1 I thought "nice". No. 2 "nice". No. 3--"Whoa, got to stop and look at this one for a minute!!! It is very unusual and really got an emotional reaction from me when I saw it. No. 4 is another "nice" photo. They are all very good. No. 3 just has a WOW factor to it.

8. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Number 3

Panos:

I think all four shots are good ones. You probably can't go wrong with any of 'em.

My personal barometer for judging photos is this: The longer my eye wants to linger on a picture and explore its contents, the better the shot. (2-3 seconds = only okay; 4-5 seconds = good pix; 6-9 seconds = great shot; 10 seconds or longer = We've got a winner!)

Having said that, I voted for No. 3. The depth of field draws your eye back and forth through the image several times and it has a surreal feel to it. Quite frankly, my eye wanted to explore this pix more than the others. (I definitely looked at that image for more than 10 seconds.)

If I could make a suggestion, however, it would be to crop a little bit more off the top of the image so it's not as balanced. I think that'll help improve it even more.

Good luck!

9. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Panos

## hands down pal.

Know why? It's moody...other worldly..and nobody else is going to have something a non typical as this shot.

I've been in enough competitions now to know that different and or different and moody is what takes home prizes.

Kinda wish I had shot it :)

10. They are all very nice shots but for me #3 is the very best with the green wines in the foreground, makes me think about early evenings with good company having a nice glass of wine

Let us know how it goes in the competition!

11. Easy, #3. The leaves play off well with the burnt orange glow; very surreal. Nice work, really!

Rich

12. Just voted for #3, too- I can still remember how I loved it when you first posted it.

Cheers

13. Panos, I vote number 3, because it is the most striking and also.... the most Greek.

14. All very nice shots.

I like #3. It is a different and creative shot and not the normal "Sunset" shot. I like the green in the shot as well.

15. Panos, I voted for #3. :smile: Just thought it was the best of an excellent lot.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

16. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    I really like number 3! I think the windmill far off in number 2 took it out of the running. I would like to see that picture with it cloned out.

17. #3.
    Definitely my pick.
    In Texas windmills are everywhere.
    My mom and her Coolpix have lots like 1 and 2.

#3 on the other hand. Very nice.
    Unique
    Surreal
    Well composed
    "other-worldly" lighting
    the green is striking contrast against the sky.
    distant haze is perfect

Please let us know how it flies with the judges.

BTW I like your pbase shots. I'm guessing your "Paparazzi Shots" gallery gets more than a few hits, eh?? :biggrin: Another BTW...you are a "paperazzo"...paparazzi is plural. Great galleries.
    Good to get to know a "Nikoncafe official photog" Panos!!!...exellent. Love the badge.

18. Without scrolling down the page to read all the votes, #3 hands down, without a moment's hesitation, and it had nothing to do with grapes *LOL*, I love the mood it invokes.

19. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    #3 for me too! Wow, what an amazing shot. It's a winner for sure!

20. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    If you can cook like you photograph then I want a lifetime membership to your restaurant.