need a new coffee maker

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by phecksel, Aug 4, 2007.

1. I would have never guessed you'all were such passionate coffee connoisseurs. With all this collective wisdom, my 20 yo black and decker under cabinet coffee maker has taken to leaking to the point it needs to be replaced. Definitely need a timer, under cabinet would be nice but not required. Nice touch may be a bean grinder. Don't do espresso or anything fancy, just wake up juice.

2. mustdye

mustdye Guest

3. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
  4. Krups Aroma Control. Takes #4 filter (or metal mesh filter) and has a metal thermos-like carafe instead of the flimsy, eventually breakable glasspots. You can get it with or without a timer. Easily the best coffeemaker that I've had in 30 years of coffee drinking.

http://store3-store.stores.yahoo.net/cuis8cupbrew.html

5. French Press for me--strictly manual! Yeah, I am a purist snob.

6. vista

vista Guest

Braun KF600 . . the water filter makes a difference.

41XZAMM47RL._SS400_.

7. Coffee maker lust is as awful as lens lust! The water filter feature has always called out to me! If it weren't for the fact that I have 7 manual coffee makers and one espresso machine, and I am the only one at home who drinks (and survives on) coffee, the Braun would find a home in my kitchen!
    Pardon me, as I make myself another cup!

8. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    don't need a timer, get a BUNN. Nough said.

Bunn has a built in mini hot water heater that is useful for much more than coffee. I use mine for cups of water for swiss miss, could equally be for tea, start water for boiling stuff, (pre heats it so boiling comes fast) I been using a Bunn over 20 years, one model of which has went for 16 years at least.

Bunn is what resturants use, typically not just a few, but "all of them". well most of them!

etc...

9. Yeah, timers are like buying a D2X and shooting on program mode, autofocus, auto wb, auto iso, auto sharpening, auto everything, all the time. I like the ritual of MAKING my coffee :)

10. Another Krups user here! Been using them for years -- they make excellent coffee and the water filter feature is quite nice.

11. 1) French Presses make the best coffee I think.
    2) Cuisenart makes a great self contained brewer
    3) Faema is my favorite for expresso and for steaming milk

12. mustdye

mustdye Guest

We have 2 French Presses that we enjoy but I recently heard that unfiltered coffee can increase cholesterol levels which I have a problem with so we purchased a pot with a paper filter.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6242467/

Now the press is used when we're camping.

13. I take care of any cholesterol problem with the judicious use of good red wine! I have a Lexan press for camping, along with a manual espresso maker for my backpack stove!

14. TheBear

TheBear Guest

great thread... I'm also in the market for a good coffee maker... Mine comes out luke warm at best. yuk!

15. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
  16. jcovert

jcovert Guest

Bunn's are the best coffee-makers made imho. Can't beat a full pot in under 3 min. Plus, when they get slow from mineral deposit, they're easiest to clean back to normal.

17. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
  18. We went to kohls today, so thank you. Looked at that product and looked at an under cabinet unit. While waiting for some assistance to pull down the under counter unit, discovered a cuisinart grinder brewer combo. The shelf price seemed to indicate $134, but the scanner picked it up as 49.95, 10% off! Bought something else we needed and got another $10 coupon good next week!!!!