Need a new eyecup for my D70, but forgot which one

I lost my eyecup for my D70, and need to order another. It's the "D" shaped cup that is made for one of the film cameras, and is also used for the D100 as an aftermarket cup. I think. Does anyone know what part # to order? They all look about the same on the B&H site! :?

Thanks, that's the one I had

I went ahead & requested they notify me when it comes in. I appreciate the generous offer to send me your spare! This time, I'm gonna silicone it on so it does get lost so easily!

Real Name
Chris
Hi Steve,

I had one of those as well. On two occasions people came up to me while I was taking pictures and asked "Is this yours?"

Of course, it had self-released from my camera (it always felt securely attached) and fallen off. Finally, one day I realized it was gone, so I lived without it (and the original was long gone.)

Then, 2 months later I was got out of my car in the staff parking lot at work, took a few steps away from the car, looked down - and there was my eyecup, on the ground!

eyecup.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It had been run over a few times, so it didn't look too good. As you can see from the picture, the metal clippy things had been crushed and bent, so now it wouldn't even fit on the camera anymore. I removed te clips, and now it goes back on, but it doesn't stay. So your idea of silicone sounds like just what it needs.

I'm wondering though if one of those mini-wire ties wouldn't be better, since when I peel it off, I won't need to pick out the glue. I'll play with it and post if I find a better solution.

Hi Steve S,

An update on my post above:

I decided to go ahead and buy the parts to make the eyecup described in that photofocus.com article referenced in my previous post.

I happened to still have my old Nikon FM (though it doesn't get so much use any more, trusty old thing), which happens to use the same eyepiece as the FM2, so I used that, saving the bulk of the cost. In the end, the two other parts cost me ~$20 from my local camera store.

I must say that I like it a lot. Having the eyepiece (which is glass and has a metal threaded ring) gives a nice solidity to the eyecup, and it sits solidly on the two angled tracks on the back of the camera.

I also like the deep, round eyecup. It envelops my eye, allowing me to relax it and focus on the field of view (I'm a lefty and sight with my left eye almost exclusively, but it feels comfortable either way.)

It is a little more expensive, but I recommend it (and it is easier to find--my local camera store was out of the one for the D70, but had plenty units in stock of each of the parts for this one.)

I hope that helps.

--Ned

Here are some pictures (which showed me I need to clean my camera!):

43804742.jpg

43804871.jpg

Real Name
Heiko
Hi Ned,

Thanks for posting this link and the pictures. I nearly lost my eyecup 1 minute after I bought the D70 (I saw it lying on the sidewalk). Naturally, I haven't got it anymore.

This is the solution I was hoping for. I will get the 3 piece eyecup you described. :idea:

Many thanks!!!

BTW, for you D70 users out there:

I find that having an eye cup for the D70 really helps to compensate for the fact that the viewfinder is small and somewhat dim.

It doesn't make the viewfinder suddenly look like a Minolta Maxxum finder, which I have heard praised for its coverage and brightness, but it does help a lot by blocking stray light.

It is particularly helpful when using the DOF button (as noted in the original article I linked to), but I find that in general it reduces eye strain and I can see details in the frame (not to mention the display at the bottom) much better since putting the eye cup on.

The one disadvantage about the eyecup setup (which is relatively minor for me) is that the D70 eye piece that came with the camera put pressure on the diopter adjustment slider so that it would be difficult to change its setting when pushing the camera in and out of bags, etc. The eyecup setup doesn't do this, so you can inadvertently change the diopter setting on the camera. But the risk is fairly minor, and you can take note of its current position when you put the eyecup on, just in case you ever have to re-set it.

T

Tui

Does this work with eyeglasses?

Has anyone tried this setup with eyeglasses and is it comfortable?

D

David H. Lewis

I got mine from this place...
http://www.bocaphoto.com/products/new/nikon/nikonacc.htm
for just a few bucks. It's the full-circle configuration and I like it fine. It will come off if you bump it good, but it hasn't really been a problem for me. I read somewhere else that mounting it upside down pretty well eliminates the coming-off problem.

Hi David,

I agree, the one you found looks like it will do fine. The one thing I like about my setup is that the bracket that connects it to the camera is a solid piece of plastic, rather than a thin piece of metal that is riveted to the eyecup (though that's just assessing what I see on the web page you linked--I haven't seen one of those parts in person).

Can't beat the price of yours, but I'm pleased at how solidly mine sits on the camera.

Tui,

I can't speak for regular eyeglasses, but it works fine for me when wearing sunglasses. It doesn't cut out the glare quite as completely, but is still very effective. The DK-2 and DK-3 eyecups are a soft rubber which easily deflects and molds either to your cheekbones, or to a lens on a pair of eyeglasses.

Real Name
Heiko
Hi Ned,

Thanks for this great suggestion - I got the 3-piece eyecup and I'm very satisfied. :D

Tui,

I'm wearing glasses and it works fine - it's definately better than the usual D70 eyepiece. Moreover, you can get the eyepiece replacement with a diopter to suit your eyesight, which is what I did (after I first ordered the regular one, just to discover that there are different diopter versions). Now I can use it both with and without eyeglasses. And using it without the eyeglasses is really worth it, it like seems to enlarge the field of view.

Got the parts, can't figure out it's assembly

Unless I have some wrong parts, I can't these 2 parts to go together. Can anybody help?

Real Name
Heiko
Hi Steve,

I assume you are referring to the 3-piece eyecup replacement for the D70. A description of it can be found here:

http://www.photofocus.com/showarchive.php?aid=201&cid=4

You need to attach the eyepiece cup adapter F3HP onto the D70 viewfinder (slide it on). First remove the original rubber eyepiece. If you attached a diopter eyepiece onto the viewfinder, it won't fit (I tried, doesn't work).

Next you put the DK-3 rubber eyepiece onto the round hole of the eyepiece adapter. Then you screw in the FM2/FE eyepiece replacement into the cup adapter and thus fix the rubber eyepiece.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

"... a diopter eyepiece onto the viewfinder, it won't f

heiko said:
Hi Steve,

I assume you are referring to the 3-piece eyecup replacement for the D70. A description of it can be found here:

http://www.photofocus.com/showarchive.php?aid=201&cid=4

You need to attach the eyepiece cup adapter F3HP onto the D70 viewfinder (slide it on). First remove the original rubber eyepiece. If you attached a diopter eyepiece onto the viewfinder, it won't fit (I tried, doesn't work).

Next you put the DK-3 rubber eyepiece onto the round hole of the eyepiece adapter. Then you screw in the FM2/FE eyepiece replacement into the cup adapter and thus fix the rubber eyepiece.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

THERE'S the problem, I got the wrong eyepiece, and it is a diopter eyepiece! Ahh HA! :shock:
Thaks for the Sherlock Holmes work. Now, I gotta get the right one!

heiko said:
Hi Ned,

Thanks for this great suggestion - I got the 3-piece eyecup and I'm very satisfied. :D

Glad to hear it Heiko. After several weeks of using it, now I don't know how I survived this long without an eye cup. On the D70 especially (with its small viewfinder) it really helps!

Cheers!

Latest threads

Top Bottom