1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Need a new flash

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by bmiller, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Well here i am in China and my sb 600 dropped on the floor the first day and is non functional. That was 17 days ago. It's a good thing i have the D700 and fast glass. I'm headed back to Nanchang tomorrow and may look for Nikon gear if i pass by a retailer. Is there any reason to look for a 900 over the 600 other than size. I may end up waiting until i get back home if the prices are not that good. I'm in Shanghai on the weekend, but i expect the prices to be higher. Still having a blast . A BBQ. burger would be nice though.
    Brad

2. Wileec

Wileec Guest

You alone can answer which flash is best for how you use flash. You stated nothing about that, so no one can intelligently suggest one way or the other. SB-900 offers many options that the SB-600 doesn't, but what's important to you - only you know.

3. davidC

davidC

Mar 10, 2009
    MD
    as he stated
    if the sb600 was sufficient then you could save and get one again.

4. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Yes. Power, user interface, longer zoom, ability to act as Commander, SU4 mode and more - but note Wileec's comments.

5. roger1011

roger1011

May 22, 2009
    United States
    if you can afford it. go with the 900 for sure.

6. I have all three Nikon flashes and the SB-900 is the bast and easiest to use.

7. Thanks, it appears everyone who has a 900 is quite happy with it. The 600 was good, but i was concerned with the weight and size. Carrying a bag with the gear i have and adding weight can be a problem for some. I was 50% overweight with my carryon for the in China flights. Lucky enough they never weigh the carryon, only the checked baggage. The trains and boat have never cared about weight so far. the crumpler is comfortable to carry so the 15lbs. is easy to cart around.
    I'll look around here in Shanghai for one, but from what i've read the prices are higher here anyway.
    Thanks again for the input.
    Brad

8. i think alot of the gray market stuff isnt that much cheaper.

9. Well, i never ran across a camera store in Shanghai. I ordered a 900 when i got home and just received it today. A bit bigger than the 600, but it has a lot more features. I appears to be a keeper.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.