Need a recommendation for rain protection....

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Butlerkid, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    ...for various bodies and the 24-70, 24-120 and 14-24 lenses.

I have ThinkTank Hydrophobias for both the 70-200/2.8 and the 500/f4.....LOVE them!

However, what do you use when using shorter lenses to protect both camera and lens when shooting in heavy rain.

Thanks!
    Karen

2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I use the Optech sleeves. They come 2 per box and I've used the same ones for several years.

3. Mostly I get wet. But if I feel the need for protection, I'll use a small hefty or a two gallon zip-lock. Cut a whole in the bottom corner for the lens objective to stick through, put a rubber band around it, and the rest of the bag sits over the lens and camera. Low tech and disposable.

Seriously, I do have an actual rain sleeve for my big glass, but rarely worry about the smaller ones. I use Grazinas Designs rain covers (Items in Grazinas Design 15 store on eBay!) for my both 500 and 600mm lenses. I know that he makes rain covers down to the Nikon 80-400 and the 70 - 200, but don't know if he makes smaller. You can email and ask him - he's pretty responsive. Or just tell him what you need and maybe he'll make it, who knows. He is in the UK, so takes a bit to get here, but his prices are great and quality is quite good.

But I still keep a couple of hefty bags in my camera bag.

4. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks for the suggestion. Since I'll be firmly mounted on a tripod, how do you control the camera? Put your hand inside the sleeve or operate the camera with your hand outside the sleeve?
    Looks like a nice source. I didn't see anything smaller than a cover for an 80-400, so maybe I'll email him. BTW - the ThinkTank 70-200 Hydrophobia also handles the 80-400.....albeit at a higher cost than Grazinas.

5. Nothing
    I've shot all day in the rain but it was a d3 & 300vr

6. 73Z1

73Z1

Sep 15, 2008
    Sacramento
    +1
    I have a custom stitched rain cover for my 300 f/2.8, 400 f/2.8, and 600 f/4, but I find the Optech covers are easy to use with smaller lenses and do an excellent job. The Optech covers are inexpensive, so I tend to use and abuse one or two each rainy season, then throw 'em out and buy a new 2-pack the next year. Usually have a fresh one packed away in the camera travel case, so I'm always ready.

7. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks! Do either of you find that they are too thin and very fragile? I will need them while shooting in harsh wintery conditions. But after all my looking, these do seem to be the best option.

8. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I've used them in the winter, no problems. I do a few mods, I cut a hole for the VF and straps, seal with vinyl electrical tape. I've used them on a whale watch when it was raining (along with the spray) and they worked fine all day. In the snow they work fine, I just brush off any accumulation. The best thing I've found in the snow is to let the camera get cold before going out. If the camera is below 32, the snow doesn't stick as much.

9. Karen - I have used Stealth Gear Extreme 80 Rain Covers for years and years - I always carry 2-3 and use them as dust covers too. They fit my 600mm+TC-14E-III and everthing shorter too. I have others including the LensCoat RainCover 2, but nothing is a simple and versatile as my stealths.

10. Karen, another vote for the Optech. You can get them with and without the Flash bit. The only annoyance I have is when on a tripod you can't easily switch from Landscape to Portrait, but they do protect the gear.

What do you find simpler with the Stealth? I am very close to getting a couple of the Lenscoat covers myself. I must say that looking at the Stealth Gear store on Amazon and seeing those Bracers, takes a minute for a fellow from our side of the pound to "get it" ;)

11. The Stealth is simple -- little more than a tube with a Chord tie for the lens end - which I fasten around the hood; a couple of poppers to navigate around a tripod head and an open-bottom at the camera end -- just put your right hand up the inside to use the buttons and no need for hand holes etc. etc. It all sits neatly in my camera bag wrapped around my long lenses. It is made from green breathable material and is entirely silent -- no russell's like you get from plastic covers. Absolutely no need for anything else. As I said I have the lense coat version and it takes a lot more space, has hand holes/sleeves etc.

12. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Lots of rain here. Most of the time I don't use anything. If I'm thinking ahead (this is rarely done) I'll stuff a plastic bag in my pocket, I can carry the camera in it and get it out when I want to take a photo.

13. I generally don't use anything while shooting either (though I'm picky which lenses I will use, e.g. no external focus/zoom). But don't forget the case and after-shoot. You need something that won't get soaked and then have lenses sitting in them for any length of time. I've been shooting baseball in the rain only to return to my case and find it literally sitting in a puddle because I mis-judged which way the land was sloped in a dugout (or another time a strong, blowing wind). Be sure to have nice dry towels in a car or elsewhere that you can fairly quickly get things dry (if you are travelling where it might be a while before you get home). Most pro gear won't be hurt in the rain, but it can be harmed by sitting in a damp bag and growing fungus. Even if you DID use great rain gear, remember it has near 100% humidity air inside the lens (+/- temp changes) and opening them up and airing them out in nice dry air afterwards is a good thing, don't leave them sealed up and put them away.

14. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Great points! Thanks! We will be traveling in vehicles and out for hours at a time. I'm going to have plenty of dessicant bags and towels! And a bag to put gear in when going to and from widely different temps! Thank goodness we will have experienced photo guides also.

15. 73Z1

73Z1

Sep 15, 2008
    Sacramento
    The Optech rain sleeves are pretty thin, but should take quiet a bit of abuse before you need to replace them. A 2-pack for any given trip should be adequate. I do the same thing as Baywing, in that I cut a hole for the VF eyepiece and use some gaffers tape to seal where needed. A small piece of tape holds the lens end drawstring in place while shooting. An additional item I strongly recommend is a microfiber cleaning cloth (or two) in a ziplock bag. If the weather is blustery, your lens will get spots on the front element. Be sure to check and clean regularly.

16. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks so much! I shot in heavy rain in Plitvice, Croatia...but there was NOT the driving wind or sleet I need to expect in Iceland in winter! Gaffer tape will definitely go in my "tool kit"! I'd also considered a sturdy rubber band to hold the sleeve around the hood.

17. I think it would be difficult to create acceptable photographs in conditions with driving sleet...so I would probably have my camera and lens safely stored in the camera bag at that point!

Glenn

18. But, be sure someone else is taking photos of you taking photos in driving sleet, and post them here in follow up. :watching:

• Like Like x 1
  19. i use lens raincoat by lenscoat.com

RainCoat - LensCoat

oops..you already have long lens covers