Need a second body for safari, any recommendations?!

So I have my d7000 and 70-200 with 1.7tc and wanted to mount my 17-55 on a second body for animals closer to vehicle. Not sure if I want to spend money for a second D7000 body as I will likely sell it when I get back and wonder if it will be hard to sell with D7100 out.

Should I just grab a 3200 or 5100?? Any ideas or thoughts?!

Have you tried any of the smaller bodies? The IQ is definitely there, but it will take some time to adjust to the lack of external controls, especially the missing front dial (and the lack of the top LCD). This may or may not drive you nuts...

You could just get a D7100 to use with your long lens. Stick the 17-55 on your D7000 and sell that when you are done :D

Have you tried any of the smaller bodies? The IQ is definitely there, but it will take some time to adjust to the lack of external controls, especially the missing front dial (and the lack of the top LCD). This may or may not drive you nuts...

You could just get a D7100 to use with your long lens. Stick the 17-55 on your D7000 and sell that when you are done :D
This makes sense to me, but then again, I've always got NAS :)

I think a used D7000 would be an excellent idea. When I went to South Africa last September, I picked up a used D7000 as a complement to the D7000 I already had. I found it to be extremely useful to have a second camera with exactly the same control layout so no additional thought was required 'in the heat of battle'. After the trip, I was able to resell it for very little loss - certainly far less than renting it.

Now that the D7100 is out, used D7000s are plentiful and the price drop has already occurred. I think you could do this at very little cost.

I second a second D7000. Same controls so you are already familiar with it, you can set them EXACTLY the same so you won't have any surprizes when it's time to shoot. If you have time you could acclimate yourself to the cameras and lenses and have them tweaked for each lens and not have to worry about changes on the fly. Sounds like a fun trip!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
good tips guys, i do like the idea of a d7000 cause im familiar with it. Man the safari is already expensive enough not sure i want to drop another $700-ish on a body. I guess I can probably sell for $100-150 less when im back. I kind feel like i want to have everything ready as might be awhile before i make it back to Africa and i like having a backup camera in case one breaks.

never hurts to have a back up camera and other back up things on a trip like that.
but you can always rent bodies and lenses from guides there, so that is an option as well. most guide services have that option available.

+1 - my first thoughts were a D7100, but not selling one on the return....but then, I like to acquire - sell: not much!

If money is an issue [as I imagine it would be considering what everything else is costing] then all you need is the cheapest body that will do the job. I chose the D5100 for its good 16 meg sensor and I'd imagine used D90's are going pretty cheap where you are now? I reckon for the price and the fact that you could get about the same price back for a used D90 I don't see why it couldn't do the same job as any other camera?

Thanks for feedback. Im enjoying my D7000 and for a hobby guy like me I dont need to upgrade to the 7100 right now. This is an expensive trip for us although I guess if i can re-sell whatever I buy when I get back the cost of the second body shouldnt be too bad.

Do u think the D90 is Ok for what I need image wise compared to D7000. I guess the extra controls would be nice over the d5100 but maybe not as good IQ as the D5100?

Greg

Thanks for feedback. Im enjoying my D7000 and for a hobby guy like me I dont need to upgrade to the 7100 right now. This is an expensive trip for us although I guess if i can re-sell whatever I buy when I get back the cost of the second body shouldnt be too bad.

Do u think the D90 is Ok for what I need image wise compared to D7000. I guess the extra controls would be nice over the d5100 but maybe not as good IQ as the D5100?

Greg
I very much doubt you would see a difference in images taken with a D90 compared to a D7100, or a D5100.
They can be explained on paper but I believe the D90 will do a very good job.

IMO ideally, the best second camera is the same as the primary camera. If it's not in the budget then the next best choice would be (again IMO) one with an adequate sensor that will give you satisfying images equal to your D7000 regardless, well almost regardless, of its other features. You've got a lot of opinions/options in the previous posts.

Renting another D7000 is a good idea too.

Renting another D7000 is a good idea too.
I disagree with this when you can buy and resell for much less loss than the cost of rental.

The NikonUSA web site has refurbished D5100s for something like $369.99. That's a steal. But I still think buying a used D7000 with the plan to resell it when you return is the way to go.

I agree with those who say the same body. You can get a D7000 used to save some money versus a new, and there is zero learning curve. You will be familiar with evey button location, the way the camera works, and the way it feels.

Good options so far. I am probably leaning towards a D7000 for the reasons u guys mentioned about being familiar etc. Otherwise probably I will also consider the D90 which will be pretty close. Looking on my local used websites for my area there are some good D90's available.

We are travelling for a month so renting I think will be much more expensive than just buying a used one and selling when I get back.

BTW Desmond thanks for that Namibia link, those pics were simply stunning in that thread and have now gotten me even more excited for the trip!!

Greg

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom