Need advice...."business" cards....FInal versions Post #53

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
So....Justin and I do NOT try to sell our images or videos! However, we do like to hand out cards to interested folks! PLEASE check out our websites and then critique these initial designs! And PLEASE suggest better tag lines! LOL!

Justin: Pleasant Videos

i-6kJsv9T-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Karen: Pleasant Photos

Maybe the tag line should be "See the world...." ?????

i-B64TFNT-L.jpg

Any and all input really appreciated!

Attachments

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
There was a thread on this a couple of years ago. Some excellent tips such as using both sides, including social media...
We don't do social media, the backs are not glossy so recipeints can write notes, etc. Any comments on the fronts or tag lines?

Real Name
Andy
For the second card, I find your name difficult to read. It will stand out more if you use a 1- or 2-pixel white stroke for the text or a color that contrasts more with the background.

We don't do social media, the backs are not glossy so recipeints can write notes, etc. Any comments on the fronts or tag lines?
Ok here it goes.
Too many different typefaces.
I find it difficult to read.
The red is particularly hard.
I would use this wheel of colour tool to find the matching combinations:
https://www.canva.com/colors/color-wheel/
I would also limit the numbers of “...” to three.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Thanks! I agree about too many types faces on my card. Only 2 on Justin's. I'll try using a white shadow for my name and changing the font.

I would go for See the world, Karen.

some more thoughts:
one font family
if you hand these out together, I would go for one style, same colour scheme, same letter types for the same subject.
I would drop the www in the website address.
and indeed, 3 points

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I would go for See the world, Karen.

some more thoughts:
one font family
if you hand these out together, I would go for one style, same colour scheme, same letter types for the same subject.
I would drop the www in the website address.
and indeed, 3 points
Thanks Bart, for your thoughts. The websites are slightly different as to color schemes and fonts, so I used the same colors and fonts on the cards. Only my name is a "new" font that isn't on the website.

Guess I learned a long time ago to type www. and still do. But I guess nowadays it is not needed. LOL!

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Most was covered above already, if you must have red, go even darker on cards. Webpage name should be largest font size on card, most everything has been covered above.

oh, I am always a fan of serifs on business card logos. Just a preference I used to teach students way way back in the day.

The websites are slightly different as to color schemes and fonts, so I used the same colors and fonts on the cards.
Think about a unified look for both sites to consolidate your brand. If you want them to be obviously separate entities, then slightly different needs to become completely different.

I used to subscribe to Before and After, a graphic design publication. Here is B&A's John McWade with some biz card tips.

Link

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Think about a unified look for both sites to consolidate your brand. If you want them to be obviously separate entities, then slightly different needs to become completely different.

I used to subscribe to Before and After, a graphic design publication. Here is B&A's John McWade with some biz card tips.

Link
Great information! Thanks!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Most was covered above already, if you must have red, go even darker on cards. Webpage name should be largest font size on card, most everything has been covered above.

oh, I am always a fan of serifs on business card logos. Just a preference I used to teach students way way back in the day.
Thanks, Wade! If I don't use some red ( mirroring my website) I think the all text except the logo in gold is over powering. With red I was trying to be cohesive with the colors in the avatar. I may lighten the gray linen background and darken the red text to help it be readable.

This worked well on my cards. Folks wrote notes down on the back. Several people jotted information down on the back to hand back to me at my event because they didn't have their own cards!

Don't ever use red on a dark background. Impossible to read. You want a vibrant, contrasting color like white or yellow.

Personal preference, but the clown image would leave heads scratching. Seems incongruous on a "travel photography" card. Consider posting a standard photo of yourself (like Justin's) or even a favorite travel image to whet their appetite.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Thanks for everyone's input - and patience! Justin's card seems so much easier. Mine - not so much.

For the cards, I can change Justin's title color to be closer or the same as mine. His seems too yellow!

Current versions:

Justin

Mine....ugh!

Real Name
Randy
Thanks for everyone's input - and patience! Justin's card seems so much easier. Mine - not so much.

For the cards, I can change Justin's title color to be closer or the same as mine. His seems too yellow!

Current versions:

Justin
View attachment 1675936

Mine....ugh!
View attachment 1675937
I prefer the font in Justin's card, easier to read
I love the url names

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I prefer the font in Justin's card, easier to read
I love the url names
Thanks, Randy! I can NOT believe I lucked out getting those domain names!!!!! I tried years ago for Pleasant Photos and could not get it! In late September this year I casually looked for it and it was available! This October I was trying to think of something for Justin's birthday. Thinking it was hopeless, I still looked for PleasantVideos.com. IT WAS AVAILABLE! And both were without a purchase price! At least something nice happened this year!

Real Name
Randy
Thanks, Randy! I can NOT believe I lucked out getting those domain names!!!!! I tried years ago for Pleasant Photos and could not get it! In late September this year I casually looked for it and it was available! This October I was trying to think of something for Justin's birthday. Thinking it was hopeless, I still looked for PleasantVideos.com. IT WAS AVAILABLE! And both were without a purchase price! At least something nice happened this year!
I lived with a dash in Carolina-SportsPhotography for years and finally bought the dashless version for $100.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom