Need advice...."business" cards....FInal versions Post #53

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Karen,
one hint from me as technical writer...
Keep the cards simple and use only one font if possible.

But, I know, it's for hobby and fun and is related to everyones own style.

Merry Christmas
Klaus

I think you've received and incorporated many of the useful suggestions included within this thread. The Cafe can be such a powerful resource!

I like the idea of featuring an image on the card...especially when the card is being used for the purpose that you described. I use business cards for much the same purpose. I often meet people while shooting during my travels--and then hand them a card so that they can view the photos later. I feature one of my favorite images on the card...and that card invariably becomes a conversation piece. So, it serves that purpose, too.

So, I like the images you have featured---the lion and Justin with the cheetah. I think it is important to keep the cards simple and clean. I like that the text is aligned...and think it is important to be consistent with fonts.

If I were to nitpick...I would clone out the grass in the lower left portion of the card. The lion shot is powerful--yet my eye shifts to the grass!

Justin's card is definitely a conversation starter! I'm not sure how to accomplish it, but I would like to see the text placed in such a way that it isn't positioned over the cheetah. I'm not sure it that's possible. I'm envisioning perhaps scaling the photo down to free up some open space along the upper right of the card or placing all of the text elements in the upper left with perhaps a somewhat smaller font. Again, not sure if that's possible--but those thoughts are what come to mind.

Glenn

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I think you've received and incorporated many of the useful suggestions included within this thread. The Cafe can be such a powerful resource!

I like the idea of featuring an image on the card...especially when the card is being used for the purpose that you described. I use business cards for much the same purpose. I often meet people while shooting during my travels--and then hand them a card so that they can view the photos later. I feature one of my favorite images on the card...and that card invariably becomes a conversation piece. So, it serves that purpose, too.

So, I like the images you have featured---the lion and Justin with the cheetah. I think it is important to keep the cards simple and clean. I like that the text is aligned...and think it is important to be consistent with fonts.

If I were to nitpick...I would clone out the grass in the lower left portion of the card. The lion shot is powerful--yet my eye shifts to the grass!

Justin's card is definitely a conversation starter! I'm not sure how to accomplish it, but I would like to see the text placed in such a way that it isn't positioned over the cheetah. I'm not sure it that's possible. I'm envisioning perhaps scaling the photo down to free up some open space along the upper right of the card or placing all of the text elements in the upper left with perhaps a somewhat smaller font. Again, not sure if that's possible--but those thoughts are what come to mind.

Glenn
I, too, keep looking at that grass in the left corner! I was waiting for you to comment on it!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
What do you think? Is 10 pt big enough for the tag line? The bottom two lines are 12 pt.....

@gnagel , @Walter and everyone!

i-5RFTkdg-M.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Comments?

Last edited:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Your card has a worrying inconsistency. The heading is "Pleasant Travels" but the website is "PleasantPhotos". You need to change the heading to match the web address.
Justin's already does that.
I realise there are probably other places you would also need to make that change. But it is worth it to be consistent.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I understand your point. But I only pick up a camera 2-3 times a year....and only when we are traveling. So traveling is a BIG part of who I am as a photographer.

The domain "PleasantTravels.com" is a commercial domain and would fetch several thousand dollars.

Using the domain PleasantPhotos.com is so....lacking. Thoughts?

Pleasant Travels is already used by a student travel agency it seems.
It might be risky to use this, I am not a legal expert.
You could go with Pleasant Photos and subtitle Travel Photography.

Last edited:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Pleasant Travels is already used by a student travel agency it seems.
It might be risky to use this, I am not a legal expert.
You could go with Pleasant Photos and subtitle Travel Photography.
This is the best solution. You have the domain and I love the name.
Calling yourself the name of an existing organisation can lead to all sorts of problems.
I know of someone who started selling goat meat and called themselves by the name of a company selling children's clothes, without researching it!

(I don't agree with the .net suggestion. .net was originally intended for use by internet and communications organisations. It is inferior to .com and you have lovely .com name already.)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
One hopefully last version! But hey, if you have a suggestion on how to improve either one, let me have it! You have already nudged me to cards that Justin and I really like!!!!!!

Special thanks to @Palouse, @gnagel, @Growltiger, @Walter , @Bart, @Lucky Duck, @acnomad, @MontyDog, @Clix Pix and everyone else!

Mine - Is text legible?

Justin's
i-5RFTkdg-M.jpg

Attachments

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Thanks! I so appreciate all the help and patience!!!! Even I wanted this project to be done! Justin is thrilled and can't wait until I put in the order!

I usually use Vista Print. Any other suggestions for printing?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom