Need advice.....Internet Cafes and backing up images in Europe....

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Due to taking excessive amount of photo gear :)tongue:), I don't want to take my 5+ pound laptop on a month-long trip to Eastern Europe.

But I DO want to back up my images....preferably having at least 2 complete backups of all my raw's. And hubby shoots hours of video which need to be backed up also.... (Note: I will be re-using my CF and SD cards....He thinks he has enough cards to avoid re-using them....but will still need to create at least 1 backup copy of his videos...)

I have two 160 GB ColorSpace O portable storage units...and have used them successfully for redundant backup for several years. In fact, they were my only backup when touring India a few years ago.

But I hate to rely on only them, since they are almost 5 years old.

If I took my USB hub, one of the ColorSpace HD's and an external HD to an internet cafe, could I hook up to a computer and copy my images from the ColorSpace to the external HD?

I don't know if internal computers allow hooking up several external devices....or if there are other restrictions that I might run in to....

All comments and suggestions welcomed! Thanks!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Karen, I've seen many I-cafe's overseas that offer to make copies, but honestly, I've never seen anyone plug in their external devices to make the copies themselves. Not to say it can't or doesn't happen, however, finding a place that would allow it could be hit or miss. Also, would I trust the person behind the counter to make the transfer successfully?

I hear you on the five pound laptop; it's the reason mine stays home, but perhaps a smaller laptop or notebook that's more lightweight?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I don't want anyone to do anything for me....I just want to plug in my 2 external HD's and copy the info from one HD to the other HD....

I've rarely used an I-cafe.....guess I'm thinking of places in the States where you can use their computer......drats!

Perhaps hotels might have computers available where I can do this?

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Perhaps hotels might have computers available where I can do this?

Depends on the hotel. Usually I stay in hotels that have computers available, as I hate carrying my laptop. Most have always been free and are usually in the lobby (there have been some, however, where usage has been at a cost). I would check the hotels where you're staying to see if they have computers for guest use. If you go to their websites you'll usually find a list of their amenities.

BTW - what gear are you carrying with you? And when is the big day?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
We leave May 18th....

I plan to take:

D800
D700 (backup)
D7000 IR

24-70 or 24-120.....or BOTH! :eek:

14-24

70-200.....maybe....probably....????

tripod with RRS BH30...

Karen, this is not the answer you want, but I would leave one camera, and possibly one lens, at home and take a lightweight laptop. But of course you don't have a lightweight laptop and it's too late to shop for one :frown:.

I ALWAYS take my Toshiba Portege R705-P35 with me when I travel, along with two portable external drives. I download all memory cards every night to one of the external disks, and periodically back that up to the other disks. The Toshiba weighs 3.1 lbs and fits into my camera bag.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I appreciate your advice, Pa. (I've already reduced clothing to bare minimums...even thinking about foregoing PJ's...:eek:....sleeping in cotton top and undies! I know...TMI....!:tongue:)

And yes, I should probably leave the 24-70 home and take just the 24-120!!!! (I know you can relate....!)

I have a Toshiba Satellite M500...at 5 lbs it was the lightest I could find a few years ago with (I think) a 500 GB HD. Taking the computer will require taking a converter, something hubby was hoping to avoid.

The weight will be problematic mostly during flying. Although I am still under the international weight and size restrictions for both carry ons even with the 3 bodies and lenses! But computer might "break the bank".

That's the reason I hoped to find a way to use my card reader and small external HD to augment the two ColorSpace HD's.

Once we arrive in Dubrovnik, back up camera can go in luggage with clothes. We will be driving a rental car for 2 weeks. Then train to Budapest for 5 nights and then train to Prague for 6 nights. So not a lot of major traveling, even though we will be gone about 26 days.

Have they clamped down on carry ons that bad on planes? On my trips to Africa in 99 and 04 I was loaded down like a pack mule (2 film bodies, 600 f/4, 80-400, 35-70 and maybe one other lens), plus another bag with all my film 200 rolls. Ah, those were the days.... Nobody would say a thing.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Honestly, if it were me, Karen, I would take:

D800
D700 (backup)
D7000 IR (I would probably leave this at home, however)

14-24
24-120
Tripod with RRS BH30...
Laptop

I would not take the 70-200, as I really don't think you'll be using it much. Also, you know that thing is heavy. And...Europe has hills. Lots of them. :Curved: You really want to lug that lens around?

I think the 24-120 will be more than up to the task of providing you with stellar photos (especially in your hands!).

Sooo...I would swap the weight of the 70-200 for the weight of the laptop. You are going to be away for a month. For communicating with friends and family, were you planning to take iPads, or were you going to rely on I-Cafe's? If you were planning on an iPad, why not leave that and use the laptop instead?

Just throwing out some thoughts here...

If it were me I would only take one camera, the D800. Lenses are always a tough call as you never bring the right ones or have it on your camera when you need it. Your 14-24 and 24-120 seem like a good choice. I would probably substitute the 24-70 for the 24-120. I really like the 70-200 and always bring it and am glad I did. One thing to consider is you always can shoot a handheld pano if you need wide. I have great success doing this and don't worry about carrying anything wider than my favorite 35/1.4 Nikkor. Oh, and take just one SB flash.

As for computer storage. I would find the cheapest used netbook you can and carry a couple large capacity external USB drives. Keep in mind you are probably going to be in high risk areas at times and will run the risk of possibly getting your gear stolen. Don't give the thief too many goodies. Only carry what you need and learn how to make what you have work for you.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
So no one thinks an I-cafe would allow USB devices to be connected to a computer? BUMMER!

Good advice, Lyndee and Kingfisher.

I had planned on leaving the 70-200 behind...but then I thought about getting closeups of architecture, details inside churches, etc.

Yes, the 24-70 is sharper and allows a little less DOF, but the 24-120 is SUCH a valuable focal length and minimizes having to change the lens very often.

Just erased the files on both Colorspace units from our trip last October. Both Colorspace units seem to be working fine.

I think I'm going to rely on the Colorspace units and hope that they don't BOTH decide to fail. If only one fails, hopefully it will be in the middle or end of the trip and I can simply start keeping original raw files on the CF cards and use the remaining Colorspace for a second back up. (of course images up to that time will only exist on the remaining Colorspace!)

My gut tells me the 24-70 may stay home...... :((

Well, I'll jump in as I'm already over here, in the Netherlands. I have to agree with PA. Three bodies? Yikes! Why? I have taken one body and two lenses two years running after trudging around a bag full of gear. On our trip to Paris in 2010 the kit ran 45# in the roll aboard. Last summer in France I took the NEX-7 and two lenses, but used the 18-200 exclusively, total weight 8#. This time I took the NEX-7, a 16-50 and a 70-300 and am doing fine. I heartily disagree with those who eschew long zooms. I've used my 70-300 an awful lot, even though Holland has no mountains or lots of tall buildings.

As for computers why take a laptop if you have some sort of tablet? I'm backing up my shooting on a 64gb microSD card the size of my pinkie nail. I have a flat holder the size of a playing card holding seven cards totaling almost 512GB. Your bodies weigh s much as your 5# laptop.

Here's a proposal. I don't want to start a Apple/Android war. I own both but here's a solution with a Samsung 10 inch tablet but you can do the same with an iPad. Take the tablet and buy a $12 hub which plugs into the Samsung. The hub has three USD slots, a microSD slot, SD slot and a couple of others. The Samsung is Android so you can see your cards plugged into the hub. You can also insert a micro SD card up to 64gb into the Samsung to store images. Also you can plug a 2.5" exsternal drive into the hub to copy the files back and forth. All you do is get a case for the 2.5" drive which permits plugging a wall wart into it to power it (the tablet doesn't have enough power to drive an external drive). With the android you can download "RAWDROID" and actually see your raw files on the tablet. I'll hook up my setup for you to see.

20130512_211850_resized_1-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

From u/l top: 1TB $79 2.5 laptop external drive in a $6.00 case. The wall wart has a European adapter. It is plugged into the drive and the $15 hub. The tablet ($320) shows your files (the software is called "Total Commander" and was originally written for Windows and ported to Android. The tablet has internal memory, a 64gb micro SD card and is also connected to the hub which has a 64gb SD card and a 64gb microSD card below the SD card out of sight. So the tablet is directly connected to five different drives right now and still has three USB ports. Using Total Commander you can copy off your SD card to the hard drive or to a microSD card. For this reason micro SD cards are more useful; you can pop a microSD card into an SD carcass and put it into the camera's SD slot..and also put it into the tablet to view the images. You can pop your SD into the slot and a microSD into the other and copy right to the card without even going through the tablet. If you aren't planning on looking at the images you can even buy a 7" tablet ($200) and do the same thing. So you don't even need to take a laptop if you don't want to. The total kit here can't be much more than 2-3 lbs. Furthermore..I put movies (mp4 format) on the empty chips so we could watch movies on the way over and in our room. They got erased as we watched them.

As for weight. For us it was one 50# bag each and one carry on plus accessory (camera/purse) bag but the two carry on's can't weigh more than 12 kilos (~26#)..and YES they did weigh both our carry on stuff. This was KLM out of Dulles and also with Air France in 2010.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Rich,

Thank you so very much! It's great to see your set up. I use almost exclusively CF cards. So I suppose I could do something similar with my card reader and USB hub and external HD's. I just need the tablet!

Re: camera gear. On one trip my camera was stolen...(yes, years ago, but it DID happen even though I am compulsive/obsessive about keeping a hold of it!) and on another trip the camera was damaged. So....that's the reason I like a backup body...but the D700 may stay home this time.

I'm really looking forward to capturing a lot of this trip in IR....hence the D7000 body.

Regarding lenses....on my last trip my 24-70 took a bad fall....I went the whole trip without the lens that I shoot 85% of the time! I'm just having a hard time leaving the 24-70 home this time and taking just the 24-120!

And the 70-200.....sure might come in handy for details...and distance.... but...

I guess I'm thick. Two lenses :24-70 and 70-200 and two bodies. No changing, no dust.

Keep in mind my hub is passive; that's why I had to take a self-powered drive. If you take a hub of your own make sure all your wall warts read 120-240V so all you'd need are the plug adapters.

And as for no tele, then there's no....

Bloise
2012-05-25-%280167%29-2.jpg

Paris
2010-05-20-%280066%29b-L.jpg

Newschwanstein
_7001920-L.jpg

Of course if it came to one body, one lens..24-120 hands down. I owned one and loved it.

:biggrin:

My travel kit

Recently was
D800 + 24g (can switch to DX/crop for 35 or 135 with the 85mm)
F100 + 85G
Sb600 (SB700 doesn't play well with F100)
Think tank retrospective 20
Film was Walgreen's ASA 200 and Fuji 400H
Toshiba Netbook with 250 gb Hardrive.
WD 500 gb portable drive

But to answer your question, I would not count on cafe's allowing you to plug a USB in, if I was a cafe owner, I'd worry about people dumping virus and spy ware on my Cafe's computers.
Netbooks are yesterday's tech nowadays, replaced by tablets...You could probably find a decent one with 250gb memory and wifi for CHEAP.

And as far as worrying about lugging gear, it's only heavy if you don't use it. Your website is amazing, I wouldn't hesitate to bring what you felt you needed.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Thank you! Especially for visiting my website!

After this trip, we will probably travel in our 5th wheel for several years....so I'm not going to invest any money on a tablet right now. I will find a way to make sure I keep my images backed up. After all, the ColorSpace units are still going strong! (I'm keeping my fingers crossed!)

Lots of good information here as I am in an earlier stage of the same dilemma - thanks Rich as that is probably how I will go, or maybe an ultrabook - always decisions to make!

Karen, have a GREAT trip (I'm sure you will) and if you do get to a iCafe, share some images along the way.....

Thom the wife and I were sitting in a pizzeria here in Leiden tonight and I took my micro SD card with, plugged it into the hub and that into the Galaxy 10. I ran RAWDROID and it showed a matix of the shots I took today. I was able to then review each raw image along with the meta data. Back at the apartment I plugged an SD card in the hub and copied the images to it using Android's Windows Commander making a backup. I also have a 500gb ext. drive which is powered from a 5v wall wart and plugged into the USB port on the hub. Ba-Da-Bing, double redundancy. By the way, I fillled the drive with movies to watch on the flight over. I brought a smartphone battery backup which also runs the drive long enough to copy the files onto the 64gb microSD card in the Galaxy.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom