Need advice on 2nd Flash

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rbsmith, Jun 8, 2005.

1. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    I am ready to buy a second flash. I have a SB800 now. Should I buy another 800 or will the 600 do just as well. What are the disadvantages of the SB600 compared to the SB800.

2. I had the same question as you recently, and the answer is . . . it depends!

Well, it doesn't depend on very much, actually.

Since you've already got the SB800, it doesn't matter that the SB600 can't be used as a main unit to power a remote unit. You've got the SB800 for that. So the only practical difference (apart from about $100 in price) is the slighly lower power of the SB600.

I added three SB600's to my SB800 so as to take advantage of some of the neat tricks you can do with Nikon's Creative Lighting System. For me, the main one was that, in addition to the SB800 itself, you can control each of the remote units individually and wirelessly from the SB800, setting each one to a different flash EV level.

Haven't tested the range yet, but the manual seems to suggest that the SB800 can control remotes that are within about 30 feet or so.

Hope this helps

Mike

3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I got another SB-800 as my second flash. The reason is more flexibility. If you plan to stick to iTTL/CLS the SB-600 is OK. If you want to start using the flashes in manual/semi-manual mode the SB-800 is far more capable because of the built-in SU-4 and the more granular control of the power level in manual mode. The SB-800 also comes with some accessories that you'd have to purchase separately with the SB-600.

4. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    I agree with Jeff. That was my logic behind my getting a second SB800 rather than an SB600.

Not to mention, I can use it as a master on my second camera too. All I need is a few more SB800's ;)

5. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    I started with one SB-800, then added three more last week.
    I really labored over the decision to order 3 SB-800's vs 4 or 5 SB-600's for the same price.

I chose the SB-800 for the following reasons
    1., $100 price difference becomes $75 with the Nikon USA rebate program
    2. includes $15 diffuser, which is a useful thing
    3. I only want to learn one instruction manual, by using all SB-800's it increases consistency
    4. I can split up my flashes in any way and still use any one as Master, whether it;s becuase that is the first one I grab out of my bag or because I am using two cameras, each with separate multiple flash set-ups
    5. I like the use of a 5th battery to improve recycle times.

Over the long term, as you spend gobs on your camera gear, I think saving $60 here or there is not as important (at least to me) as #3 and 4 on my list.

That was my rationale.

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Thanks
    I believe I will go with the SB-800. I bought the dvd from Nikon about the Creative Lighting System. I guess that got me wanting more flashes. I'll have to get one at a time though.

I am using the built in flash to trigger the remote. I set the remote up on an old cheap tripod. I will probably need to get a stand when I order. Anyone have any recommendations.

8. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I'm using a couple of cheapo Velbon tripods for flash stands. I currently have one SB800 and one SB600. At some point, I plan to acquire a second SB800 and then trade the SB600 against a third. The 600 works fine, but remembering two different modes of operation is a pain.

9. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Are you using the D70 in commander mode? If you are, be aware that you can't control lighting ratios via that setup. i.e., all slaves will fire at the same ratio. So if you want to use one as a key, and one as a fill, you'll need to have the key light (master) physically connected to the camera so that you can control the fill lighting amount.