1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Need advice on Nikon SLR

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by kiskaprince, Aug 18, 2008.

1. kiskaprince

kiskaprince

Mar 30, 2008
    canada
    I am trying to decide which digital camera should I buy it?
    I was looking at Nikon D80 or Nikon D100.
    Wonder which would be better choice for better pictures?
    Thank you

2. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    I've had the D100, I would take the D80. If the D80 is half the camera as the D50, it would be a better shooter and a lot of fun to use. I've had 2 D50s and wish i hadn't sold the last one. The D100 is pretty old DSLR wise.

3. kiskaprince

kiskaprince

Mar 30, 2008
    canada
    Do you think that D50 would be better choice even then D80???
    Thanks

4. What kind of things do you tend to shoot? What types of lenses do you wish to buy?

You may be able to consider the D40 or the D60 too.

5. kiskaprince

kiskaprince

Mar 30, 2008
    canada
    some people shots ,landscape stuff like that.
    D80 or D50????
    How much should I pay for used D80 and used D50.
    I have couple one D50 for 300$ and D80 for 600$ with battery grip both in very good shape.
    Thank you again.
    Lenses 50 f1.4,18-55, maybe I will buy one more not sure which.

6. kiskaprince

kiskaprince

Mar 30, 2008
    canada
    Anyone have something to say??
    thank you

7. I'd go D80 1st D50 2nd. the D80 is a pretty good DSLR. Go to DP review and read the reviews on both. That may help you decide. You could also try to get a good clean used D200. Now that's the was to go.

8. Wolfie

Wolfie

Jun 16, 2008
    Hazel Green, AL
    It depends on what you want to shoot, lenses you want, etc. like the others have said...

but lets, instead, touch on budget. what is your spending limit. if you are on a budget go for the D40, it's a great first DSLR camera. assuming you don't already have one. it's the best 'gate way' camera IMHO. you sacrifice a few things found in the D80 but if you're not going to want to bother with them for a while, again, still assuming you are as experienced as I. which is not saying much.

if your on a budget, get the D40. it's half the price of the D80, and still cheaper used. comes with a great lens, and put whatever money saved and buy some more glass or a good flash.

9. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    I have both the 80 & 50

I like both cameras but fr what I do and how I shoot I prefer the 80 - it has both front and rear adjustment wheels and the function button that the 50 does not.

I use those too often to not have - and use my 50 as a backup.

10. kiskaprince

kiskaprince

Mar 30, 2008
    canada
    Do you think that 600$ for used D80 with battery grip is a good price?
    It is like new condition.
    I think pictures should be better quality on D80 then D50 cause it is newer camera isn't that true?
    Thank you

11. Wolfie

Wolfie

Jun 16, 2008
    Hazel Green, AL
    picture quality or IQ, isn't measured by just equipment alone. I can still make great images on my fathers old relic of a film slr from 30 or 40 years ago.

so, if put in the hands of the experienced, a D40,80,(insert model here) will make the same images as a D300,D3,etc.

now with the D300 you can get some more color saturation options for more vivid colors than all the other lower nikon models, but is that worth spending $1700+? (thats just one of the cool things the D300 can do. it does a LOT more) I'm sure some would say yes and some would say no.

you pay more for cameras that can do fringe element things on the fly, via onboard control or otherwise. faster fps, better high ISO capabilities, sync speeds, etc.

but if you know you don't need it, then save the money.

battery grip is a good price?
    i think thats a great deal honestly, check to see if the grip is made by nikon. if it is than yes.

but if you can get a used D40, D50 or otherwise, why spend $200 more? You could snag a used D40/50 for around $350-$400, thats $200 saved, you could put that toward another good lens, like the 55-200mm VR for those far away things you know you want to photograph! or maybe use that for the 70-300mm VR, or use that and save more for the 12-24mm! the list goes on and on!

I have a D40 and love it, i'm still learning, but i can see within the next 8 months to a year i'll probably upgrade to a higher model, like say a D80 or maybe just step right up to a D300.

remember, the most important thing to make great photos is the machine located behind the camera.:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2008
  12. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    quality - the only thing is the 80 is 10 mpx and the 50 is 6

13. Wolfie

Wolfie

Jun 16, 2008
    Hazel Green, AL
    of course there are some other things you need to ask yourself like what kind of prints you want to make or how big do you want to make them. Megapixels don't matter to image quality, only if you want to make huge prints. if you know your not going to print huge, then there isn't a need for a lot of megapixels.

14. I'm a little confused here. Didn't you have a D200 and 70-200mm at one point? I remember seeing posts in which you were using that combo.....

15. kiskaprince

kiskaprince

Mar 30, 2008
    canada
    Yes still have it.
    I am trying to find cheaper camera for my daughter.
    Thank you

16. Wolfie

Wolfie

Jun 16, 2008
    Hazel Green, AL
    OH!

ok. this will probably make things easier.

what photography is she interested in?
    what skill level is she? amature, pro, semi-pro, etc?
    does he have experience with SLRs?
    has she used one before or does she have one now?

I'm wanting to get a camera for my little brother, he takes awesome photos with a crummy kodac P&S. but the photos are amazing!
    still, he has no experience with DSLRs except with my D40, i let him get a feel for DSLRs with it.

he's pretty good, but is still in that learning phase we all had to go through at some point. since he's my brother i know pretty much what he's interested in shooting - landscape, protrait, maybe some animal life, Still Life, and possibly a little action like soccer games and the such (Nothing Pro or anything).

now remember, i'm on a budget.
    so, with that 'wishlist' filled out, i determined that a D40 or D50 is the best camera to get him started. there's not a lot of onboard switches/buttons/knobs or complex menus to confuse him or intimidate him, and he still has a camera that can meet all his shooting needs.

plus the money i'm saving i can put toward another lens or flash for him in the future.

if you're not on a budget then buy her a D80, heck - you could step right up to a D200 for her since there isn't much of a price difference now with it being DC'd and all, and i'm sure the price will drop again sometime anyways.

i go in knowing my brother will eventually outgrow the D40/D50 i'll be getting him. thats a good thing, when he wants to upgrade he can give the camera back to me to sell here, i'll take that money (and possibly a little from my pocket) and get him the next step up.

and the cycle will go on and on.

17. TVayos

TVayos Guest

d80 its newer. Newer is better. If your on a tight budget the d40 gets a lot of thumbs up here.

18. rmfnla

rmfnla

Aug 19, 2008
    La-La Land
    You do a lot of poster-size prints I take it..?

19. SteveC

SteveC

Jun 13, 2008
    UK
    Or crops?

20. It really is helpful when someone asks for suggestions and advice to provide key information such as: budget, skill level, who the user of the camera will be, subjects that the user likes to or would like to photograph, etc. In this instance it would be helpful to know the age of your daughter and what, if any, prior photography experience she has had. One would undoubtedly buy a different camera for a six-year-old than a sixteen-year-old.

Good luck -- I just realized it's been a while so you may have already made a purchase by this time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.