Need advice please....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DAVE VAN, Oct 10, 2005.

1. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    I mentioned a week ago that I had been offered a job from a website "magazine" to be a staff photographer for them. I have been procrastinating on this and today I received a call from them. They want to know what events I would be interested in covering for the 2006 season and how far I would be willing to travel. They want me in addition to photographing the events to also write the coverage of the event as well as driver interviews, etc. They will pay travel and lodging expenses as well as a monthly salary. I would retain ownership of my images but they could only be displayed on their website. My question is to anyone else out there doing this type of work, what is a fair salary to ask for? I don't want to be too cheap but I also want to be realistic. I will be using my own camera gear so that has to have a value too. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Dave, some of this sounds troubling to me. How can you be a photographer and a reporter at the same time? I'm just trying to imagine how I would do this job and would find it very challenging. What are the expectations for your work and how will your efforts be measured?

Can't help with the compensation and other questions, sorry!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

3. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    I would do interviews before and after the races. I would than write the race coverage including race results and interviews and submit along with the photos of the events. I would be given press credentials for eace event that I covered.
    I imagine that they like the quality of my photos that they have seen and I don't think that the journalism part would be that demanding. They gave me the option to just photograph or do the whole thing.

4. Vandyu

Vandyu

May 14, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    I've been both photographer and journalist. I was trained initially in print media and picked up the skill of photography to accompany my own articles. So, that's not an issue if you know how to write, use correct grammar, and, if necessary, edit your own work with a cold eye. I would suggest you contact a major school of communications, such as Columbia in New York, and see if one of their professors might give you some advice on how to price your services. Also, will you receive a contract? If so, have your attorney look it over to protect yourself in case the honeymoon ends on a sour note. In fact, you may want to be pro-active and develop an agreement on your own. I wish you well. It sounds like an exciting opportunity and a fun job as well.

5. This may be of little or no help but will pass it on anyway. I was just offered a job to photograph athletic events here where I live. This area is noted for it's low wages so that is why I say that this may be of no help. I was offered $15.00 an hour and turned them down. After all I could shoot on my own and sell 4x6 images for $5.00 each with no problem at all and have the opportunity to sell larger sizes for considerably more. I did in fact do that last year for two weeks and made over $1,000. Trying to shoot and sell at the same time is the hard part. I have a friend that does this and can make around $300 for one football game but then he has built a reputation over the last decade.. Perhaps if I were struggling financially I would think differently.

6. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the help. I will use some of your suggestions. I hope it will be fun. I'm afraid it may get to the point that I don't enjoy it anymore if it's a job. :frown:

7. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks Gordon. My problem is I have tremendous constraints on my time. With two children under the age of 9 and my wife working full time and also David's special needs I don't know how much time I can spend on this venture. I think that maybe if I commit to do some local shows in some of the surrounding states that will be all I can handle at this time. As far as compensation I still don't have a clue what is fair for both of us. I kind of agree with you that possibly if I sold prints directly myself I might be able to do better. I need exposure at this time so I might give it a try and see how it goes.

8. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    I cannot give any expert advise, but I agree with you that this exposure can help you in the long run, even if the job doesn't pay that much. In the end, you will be the judge of whether or not it's worth giving a try.

Wish you good luck in this new venture, should you take it up.