Need Advice setting up new laptop....HELP!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I'm getting a new laptop PC and will have only a few days to get it set up before a major international trip.

1. Any important Windows OS settings I should check and potentially change?

2. So.....I've made a list of key software I want to put on it...... PS CC, LR, Nikon Capture, Nikon View, DxO PhotoLab 2, Firefox, Chrome, MS Office 2007 or Libre, Malware, etc, etc,

3. Can I just email (or use Drop Box ???) the following files to myself (after I FIND THEM on my desktop!!!) and save them where they need to reside on the new laptop?

Custom Camera color profiles made by using Xrite's Color Checker Passport
PS Actions
PS preferences, Color preferences, Camera raw, bridge preferences
Keywords

4. What about custom Window arrangements in PS and Bridge?

5. And I made a list of key personal data files to put on the new laptop......

6. And I'll test the new USB hub/external HDs/card reader so I KNOW I'll be able to back up my images during the trip!

What am I forgetting?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Sounds like you have a good plan. Do test everything carefully, that is a lot to set up.

On point 3 I would simply use a USB memory stick to copy those sort of files across.
Or if wanting to move lots of data I would share the D: drive on both machines and use the local network (cabled or wifi). All my machines have their D: drives shared so when I arrive at a machine's location I can quickly put all my changed files on it.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sounds like you have a good plan. Do test everything carefully, that is a lot to set up.

On point 3 I would simply use a USB memory stick to copy those sort of files across.
Or if wanting to move lots of data I would share the D: drive on both machines and use the local network (cabled or wifi). All my machines have their D: drives shared so when I arrive at a machine's location I can quickly put all my changed files on it.
Good suggestion about using a USB memory stick. I seldom use them and thus forget about them! :rolleyes:

When I download from the Adobe Creative Cloud app, the PS CC 2020, by any chance will it contain the "synched" preference files, action, workspace set up I use on my desktop? Maybe I'm hoping for too much....! LOL!

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
No. But you can copy those files yourself with just one copy and paste.
Simply copy everything, files and folders, under this location:
C:\Users\Karen\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020
where I have put Karen as your username, change it to the actual one.
If you can't see the location in Explorer then you need to change your View settings to show hidden files and folders.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
No. But you can copy those files yourself with just one copy and paste.
Simply copy everything, files and folders, under this location:
C:\Users\Karen\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020
where I have put Karen as your username, change it to the actual one.
If you can't see the location in Explorer then you need to change your View settings to show hidden files and folders.
Excellent! I presume this will work for Bridge also....and Lightroom......?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
So - laptop arrived today. How do I get Windows to look like the screen shot below with the File Edit View Bookmarks Tools Help menu at the top? I think that is my Firefox menus. I've installed Firefox and want to set FF as the default browser and set my Home page....but I can't find that menu line. LOL! Do I need to install PowerShell or what?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Part 3. How to set your home page in Firefox.
First go to the page you want to be your home page.
Options/Home/ then press the button "Use current pages".
All the pages you have open will appear every time you open Firefox.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Firefox.....I finally found the FF Options by clicking the horizontal lines on the upper right.

And I think I just solved the issue. A rt click and selecting Menu gives me that upper line I was missing.

Any Windows settings I should check? I think I am slowly getting the data on the screen to look familiar to me! LOL!

How do I prevent the little pop up in the bottom right every time I get an email? I'm always dismissing it....and it's a big interruption when it pops up all the time.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
What email program are you using? It is that program that is doing the pop-ups.
And there are ways of controlling notifications.
I get them when I get an email, I like them, and I ignore them. They go away after a few seconds anyway.
(Did you see my posts above?)

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
The "horizontal lines" - note that there are exactly three of them - are a standard way of showing a menu nowadays. You will see them on phones a lot. They are called a "hamburger menu" for obvious reasons.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom