Need an awesome surprise gift idea

Long story short, I'll be visiting a friend of mine after about 10 years. Even after all this time, we have maintained our friendship, and consider ourselves to be very lucky. He doesn't know I'm coming, so the visit is a surprise in itself, but as a fellow photographer, I just know I need to do better than that :tongue:

10 years is a long time after all. All the missed birthdays, and parties... need to be rewarded somehow :D My budget is about ~$500.

So... here's what I'm working with. He's go a D5000 with a 18-55 and 70-300. Some CPL filter, a tripod. That's all I know. He's into rally sports and landscapes primarily.

Initially, I didn't know about the 70-300, and that's the lens I wanted to get him, but now, I'm lost. I'm thinking about ordering a 35mm /1.8, and a ThinkTank modular system for him. I have a belt and a few pouches myself, and I love this system.

My other idea was to get him a wide angle lens, but the Nikkor 10-24 is $900, and it's too much. I know I could go with a Sigma, but I just don't like third party lenses.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you guys might have.

How about a gift bag of goodies? Say, something for each year? A black rapids strap would be nice, a hoodsman loupe, battery pack, those are just a few ideas. If it's one big gift, dunno - most of what comes to mind is more than $500.

The Sigma 10-20 is really a very nice lens for the money (less than $500). Aside from the accessory idea, what about software? If he is a serious post processor ( or wanted to be), the Nik or Topaz bundles are an idea. Photo Mechanic if he is a NX2 user, or Lightroom if he is not. Subscription to Kelby Training is another idea.

The Sigma 10-20 is really a very nice lens for the money (less than $500). Aside from the accessory idea, what about software? If he is a serious post processor ( or wanted to be), the Nik or Topaz bundles are an idea. Photo Mechanic if he is a NX2 user, or Lightroom if he is not. Subscription to Kelby Training is another idea.

I've looked into that Sigma before posting, but I'm just not comfortable with third party lenses. It's a stupid thing, I know.

He's already got LR3 + other stuff, so this area is pretty dead.

Why does everything has to cost money? :frown:

I'd say get him a fast normal if he doesn't already have one. I know you said he has an 18-55, but my 35mm f/2 made me sell my 18-70mm kit lens.

I like the idea of the multiple gift ideas. I also like the idea of a 35 of 50 prime as that is one of the lens I am going to be buying next and I have similar gear and similar interests in shooting. A flash might also be another good idea If ether of you drink what about a case of bear, bottle of wine or any other form of beverage where you two could sit around and have a good time and catch up.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom