Need an honest opinon

This was a photo of my son I took about a day after he was born...sent this to my a few family members and one of them said the photo was horrible. The lighting was gross and basically made my son look ugly. This is the blunt grandma btw. So I thought I would get your all opinions on this photo, please feel free to be blunt....
1137026539_2XEzQ-L-3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I like it. To me its very contrasty and has a certain artistic flare to it. I'd be proud to call it mine. Maybe Grandma just has different taste....

Honestly, pictures like this are not about the photography aspects, lighting, and posing. It's about capturing a moment in time you'll never get back but will want to cherish forever.

As for grandma, no need to reply to her. Cherish the memory you captured and steer clear of the negative.

Only negative point is that you have your focal point on your Son's ear so the ear is rather sharp compared to the rest that is soft.But that is just about all.
I think Grandma expected a color full picture with a porky pink (nothing personal) Son, lots of baby boy blue, toys and stuff. And preferably a big smile on his face.This what most Grandma's worldwide proudly shows to the world.In short a picture with a high: 'OHHHHHH my God!! He's cute!!!!' rate.Now Grandma perhaps show's the picture with:"Sorry for the picture, my Son is a artist,he still shoots in B/W"

The black and white conversion is kind of flat, to my eyes, I'd probably re-work that if it was my photo. There are some technical flaws: the blown out towel in the upper left is distracting. See if you can't pull some of those highlights down and then get your son's skin from gray to closer to white on the grayscale. Composition isn't great but it'll do for a snapshot.

Overall it's a pretty average photo - nothing to get excited about and certainly nothing to act all derisive about.

I like it! The one thing I would suggest is to try and bump the contrast a bit around his eye. My eye keeps being drawn to the ear because it has a nice contrast and appears to be in sharper focus. But other than that I think its a great shot! Not sure what grandma was expecting, but everyone has an opinion!

I think it's very good - a little too hot for me on the face, but I like it. I agree - I would be happy to call this my pic.

here is a quick touch up I did, based on some of the thoughts presented. I only had a few min to work on but its a rough work up.
1243118218_za4xb-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Does this look better? worse? about the same?

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom