Need an opinion

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by sfoxjohn, Jul 6, 2008.

1. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Can you please tell me which of the three versions of this shot you prefer?

I need to make up my own mind by tomorrow (Monday), but am torn mostly because I think that one of the B & Ws fits the mood of the late 19th and early 20th century better. But the colors in the color version seem compelling also.

Thanks in advance to all.

326472575_m8SuH-L.jpg

326472580_378u5-L.jpg

326472586_xqSck-L.jpg

2. I'm not sure what story you're trying to tell here...

If you're pointing out some bright spots in an industry that's been ravaged by imports, go with the color.

If you're talking about the good old days, stick with the B&W.

If it's just a picture that you like and has no significance, you get to make up the story! Personally, I like the B&W.

Keith
    North Carolina

3. wow
    i thought i posted an answer already/maybe there are 2 threads

i like #2.... with the floor from #3

4. 3rd one!
    Gives a more rustic old, used feeling to it in b&w, but the second one has a bit too much brightness, or white in it.
    Great shot(s) by the way, I think I know what youd done, shot in colour, then b&w, then inverted the b&w, looks great, I like, may just try myself one day!
    *EDIT* Wait sorry, should be paying more attention, I see that its just where there was/is different light, some white parts look more black, got me confused in thinking that ypou inverted it!

5. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    third one.

the machines in #2 are just too bright for me.

6. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    #3 does it for me, just has an "aged" feeling to it. Very nice!

7. I agree...#3. Very old look to it. Like the dark floor look.

8. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Thank you all for going to the trouble to help, and so quickly. I had also posted this under Retouching, as Greg noted. Strangely the response there was almost unanimous for #2 as it was for #3 here. When I posted, I think I preferred #3 also, but mostly because of the floor. What I have done is recreate #2 with the floor darkened as follows.

Tthis latest incarnation is the result of using the red filter in <layer/image adjustments/black & white>, adding a little blue which brings out the darker machine parts, and finally subtracting a lot of yellow which darkened the floor as in number 3. The result is basically #2 with the yellow reduction. It probably would have been a lot more work if I didn't have CS3.

Finally, since you all took the trouble to help, let me say that I created #3 because I thought the "real" old wheel might actually have been dark.

326571415_CnXj3-L.jpg

9. Yes, this last one is the best combination. Nicey done!

10. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Thank you Anthony.

11. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Think I like #3 the best still.

12. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Thanks Tim, please see my response to you under Retouching.