Need another reason to get an 85.1.4.....macro.....?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Vernon t, Jun 12, 2005.

1. What's a guy to do when he's stuck at work and UPS shows up with a new toy???

Kenko extension tubes. Shiny and new.
    Some of the most useful airspace I've come across.

Highly acclaimed Nikkor 85mm 1.4 pressed into action.

16 and 18 gauge hypodermic needles standing up.
    The woman in labor around the corner had to wait to have her baby(boy). I was busy playing.

Nikkor micros are merely macro...85mm is now true micro (> 1:1)

D2X 85mm f1.4 Nikkor with Kenko extension tubes.
    1/2 second f7.1 window light to right.

2. Well, now -- talk about a timely post. I have been looking for info on how the big-eyed 85 would do with +diopters and/or extension tubes. You just added that proverbial last straw. I will have one in the air on the way to me come Tuesday and I'm tellin' my wife it is YOUR fault. 8)

And yeah, that is a "sharp" image.

Phil

3. Hey, PhilY...

I got a kick out of your profile where you list your location as ": B&H Web Site, Lens Section ".
    Excellent, original and likely accurate.

Be advised that the working distance is very close on the 85mm.

Where the tubes shine is on longer lenses.
    On the 300f4 they're amazing and on the 70-200 the zoom doesn't zoom, it focuses. Some optical PhD could likely explain in mathematical terms that would befuddle us all.

I'm lusting for a 180f2.8. I suspect the Kenkos would be great in that...like I needed another reason!

Don't try to get me to believe I got you to part with your money but if I can divert some of your wife's wrath I'm happy to be of assistance. :)

4. Yep. I may as well be there. Most of my money is in residence.

Yeah, I know. I have the 500D on my short list but options are a good thing.

I fully understand. That is a *very* nice little prime -- compact, sharp and contrasty, and probably would work VERY well with the tubes. Should I tell B&H to expect a call? hehheh

Any assistance in this area is greatly appreciated. However, seeing as how I have been married long enough to have check numbers with five digits, I have developed a unique ability to give the proper affirmative or negative nod to that background static without actually hearing a word she says.

Phil

5. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Vernon, great and unexpected shots. Who would have thought to use the 85/1.4 for anything except the portraits it is touted for? I can join my voice to the throng praising the 180 -it's a great lens. I use it when I cannot carry the 80-200 for some reason or another. It is probably a shade better than that legendary zoom for sharpness, and contrast. A lovely little lens