Need bigger viewfinder

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by cotdt, Jul 18, 2007.

1. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Is there any accessory that will give my D50 a larger viewfinder? I think that the D80 has a larger viewfinder, but it is still not big enough so I do not want to upgrade. I want my viewfinder to be huge.

2. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    your real only option is to shoot film on a F5 and be in viewfinder heaven! or switch to the dark side and get a 5D. cropped viewfinders are cropped.

Although IMO the D80/D200 viewfinder is worlds better than the D50/D70/D100 viewfinder. even the penta-mirror D40/D40X viewfinder is pretty good.

3. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Shoot medium format. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

4. D1/D2 + DK-17M eyecup gets you pretty close to "Full Frame" feel, I have a D2h with that setup and compared to my F100 it's pretty close.

5. Magnifying eyepiece for D50

I believe you want the DK-21M for the D50. THe DK-17M is round, while the DK-21M is rectangular, and slips on in place of the rubber piece currently on the camera. The DK-21M provides just slightly less magnification than the DK-17M, and some people with glasses have complained about it (but that's not stopping me). I've got one on order.

6. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Will a DK-17M keep all of the frame in view? Or does it crop out the information along the bottom of the frame?

7. Bill N

Bill N Guest

Well, I ordered the DK-21M for my D70 today from B&H, $30 shipped. I've read good and bad but figured for that price I would give a shot at a little better view via the finder! Bill

8. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I took a questionable plunge and ordered this:

http://www.ircube.jp/main/product/mea/eng.html

It's a custom made adapter for using the DK-17M on a D70. $81 after shipping for all of the parts, but I think it'll be worth it so I don't have to hack anything together.

I'll let everyone know how it goes once I get it. Coming from Japan, so I should have it next week sometime...hopefully. :smile:

9. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    yes, please post how you like it. 81 seems a bit spendy but if it works really well it could be worth it. do you have access to a D80/D200/D2 to compare it against?

10. I just checked that the DK-17M and the DK-21M has the same 1.2x mag ratio, so seems like the advantage here is the roundedness of the Dk-17M

11. Bill N

Bill N Guest

12. Bocaphoto says they're both 1.2x, the DK-17M might seem "bigger" because the viewfinder of the D2s are a lot bigger.

13. Bill N

Bill N Guest

That makes sense. I am kind of excited about this, I hope it helps a little. Bill

14. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Once it arrives I'll go down to the local shop and check out a D200 to compare it to. It would have been $60 in parts here anyways... plus I would have had to hack it to fit anyways. an extra $21 gives me a custom made part that's made to fit it.