Need butterfly/moth help please?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TOLady, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Can anyone take a guess as to what this is the pupa for? Found it in my Toronto garden. This means it has spent all winter out there. (I know it looks like it came from the back end of a chihuahua but it IS a pupa!)

It is actually 3cm tip to tip, dark brown - almost black.

Also, is there an easy method to 'hatch' it? Does it hatch due to time, temperature or light exposure? I have an old laptop and camera that I can dedicate to time lapse photography of this if it's easy to 'hatch'. Any information is GREATLY appreciated! :smile:

View attachment 89893

2. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    Hi Sandi, I would think the expert would be "Bob the Spiderman", you might want to PM him, although I think it looks like a dog turd personally:biggrin: - Jeff

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Oh my....hummmm

4. Well, it's 10:30 PM Bob's time so he's probably furrowing his pillow at the moment. I thought someone on this side of the ocean might know....

NO, it's NOT a doggie turd - I checked! :biggrin:

5. Pray tell how did you check???

6. texture, weight, and bifocals!! *LOL*

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Good lord, what will you drag home next:)))

8. *ROTFL* Good one, Gale!!!

9. Here I thought it was a piece of pupa...sorry I coudl not resist

10. Bob the Spiderman is the man but I haven't seen a post by him in a very long time. Anybody know how he's doing?

Anthony

11. I PM'd him but no answer. Hope he's OK....

12. Sandi,

I recall that HarryS. , a member here, is an expert on insects. You may want to contact him.

13. Thanks, John and Herman. I'd like to know if this pupa is worth putting in some time and effort.

14. I must be tired...I just can't seem to stop giggling after reading this post!:biggrin: :biggrin:

15. Well, Francois, when I first hit the SUBMIT button for this post, I bet myself $100 that the first answer would say it looks like a dog product, I just didn't know who'd step up to the plate to win first prize!!!

16. ummm What does it taste like?

17. Dogfood! :Shocked:

18. can you say petrified poop?

19. Hi Sandy!

Thanks for the PM. I saw your post when I was in my office today but before I could take care of it I was called away.

Your pupa looks very much like it will be a hawk moth one day - provided it will hatch. I don't have much experience with keeping them. You could either put it back to where you found it or put it in a glass with some absorbent tissue and keep it very moderately humid by putting a few drops of clean (!) water on the tissue. You should not soak the tissue because then the pupa will become mouldy and die. Also keeping it too dry is bad for it. Rearing moths from the larvae or pupae is a science of its own. Hopefully Bob will chime in because he has lots of experience in this.

Cheers

Harry