Need butterfly/moth help please?

I did get interested in this last year but it was too late - all the breeders' cocoons had hatched by then. There's a gentleman in PEI who sells cocoons - exotic Cdn moths. I'm going to give him a call and see what stock he has left. I'd prefer hatching local moths so they have a chance of living in the wilds here.... Edit: all cocoon stock is gone for this year, I'll have to order them in September, overwinter them for hatching next spring.
Just a suggestion but you really *SHOULDN'T* release anything that isn't local.

Great pupa pictures BTW

OH Heck. This is a really difficult one. If it was European I would take a guess that it was of The Macroglossinae sub-family, and possibly Genus Deilephila but you just cannot guess like this, for as sure as god made little apples you will get shot down in a ball of flame.

So here is my suggestion. Take these pictures to the Toronto Natural History Museum, or its equivalent and get the RIGHT answer, and not a guess from some old bloke who lives in the UK. The pupae is very very distinctive and should be easily identifiable.

BW. Bob F.

Just a suggestion but you really *SHOULDN'T* release anything that isn't local.

Great pupa pictures BTW
Thanks for the advice but I'm already of the same mind... I will only be hatching cocoons of my local variety. I've already researched that the ones on order do hatch in southern and mid Ontario. Not fair to introduce a new species, either to the moth or the locals.

Thanks for this advice, and any more you can offer.... all welcomed!

Thanks Bob for your valuable input. I'll search around and see if we have such a museum here. Great idea!
Always look forward to great advice from an 'old bloke', a smart old bloke! :smile:

Right now s/he is resting comfortably in the coolest room in the house and once we get some greening outside (going to take about six months at the rate we're going), I'll start the ecloding process. I'm hoping to do a time lapse of the whole thing to share....

OH Heck. This is a really difficult one. If it was European I would take a guess that it was of The Macroglossinae sub-family, and possibly Genus Deilephila but you just cannot guess like this, for as sure as god made little apples you will get shot down in a ball of flame.

So here is my suggestion. Take these pictures to the Toronto Natural History Museum, or its equivalent and get the RIGHT answer, and not a guess from some old bloke who lives in the UK. The pupae is very very distinctive and should be easily identifiable.

BW. Bob F.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom