Need calibration software recommendations

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by KsJET, May 19, 2007.

1. KsJET

KsJET

Feb 24, 2007
    MN
    I have read several Tutiki tutorials and threads here, but am still confused as most of this is over my head. My laptop just got sent off for an overhaul, so I am stuck using my old Dell Dimension desktop. My monitor is a flat panel LCD model E153FP. I do not print my own photos. I usually have them printed at Costco. I would like to calibrate my monitor for editing purposes. I have tried to eyeball it, but it just isn't working well.

Can anyone recommend software (or do I need hardware?) for this purpose? Would Spyder2 Express be good enough? I don't need professional photos, but I would like to see them properly when editing.

TIA.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I use adobe gamma software.

There is one on line you can use also.
    Gotta find it.
    Be back:>))

ok found it
    You can do it online or down load the little program.
    I have used it and it does work.

http://www.easyrgb.com/calibrate.php

3. KsJET

KsJET

Feb 24, 2007
    MN
    Thanks, Gale! :smile:

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. KsJET

KsJET

Feb 24, 2007
    MN
    I'm willing to purchase hardware. Staring at this awful screen with terrible colors has given me a headache. :tongue:

Thanks!

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Paul, I have been very fortunate I guess. I am calibrated with Adobe Gamma that came with CS2
    So far so good. All my prints match
    Got a good pro printer locally
    He is a pro photog and a PS guru as well. So if something is out of wack he tells me. If so he fixes it for me. So far only had one fixed.
    I am so lucky to have that personal service from a local business.
    I really like Joe as well
    Access photo graphics.
    Think they are going up on the net shortly as well

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. KsJET

KsJET

Feb 24, 2007
    MN
    I picked up a Pantone huey at Ritz this weekend. WOW! The difference is amazing. I love that it adjusts with room lighting. I know there are better products out there, but this is really all I need for now and the pictures on my monitor match my Costco prints perfectly. :biggrin: Thanks for the tips!

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Paul
    I am extremely FUSSSSSSSSSYYYY of my printed images.
    Several folks (from this forum) Merritt shoots have seen them and they can tell you they are spot on...
    Like i said I am just lucky and have a good eye usually for color
    Have a great pro doing the printing.
    I can not afford the mechanical calibrator:<(((

10. I have tried several software packages and none gave me the results I get from ColorEyes. My Apple display matches my prints almost exactly. I use ColorEyes with my Monoco Optix sensor. Goto http://www.integrated-color.com/ for more info.

11. OK Now I am messed up...

Being one who cannot leave things well enough alone I had to download the newest version of ATI Catalyst Control Center and play with the settings. Now I think that everything is outta wack. I've tried adjusting the gamma settings that comes with XP Pro. The gamma adjustments in the CCC too and now I cant seem to get satisfactory results. I cant seem to find default settings to get things back to a happy starting point. So now I have no way of knowing how accurate the colors and contrast ect in an image are. IF what looks good here my look like $**t on the web or in printed format.
    I suspect I may have to delete CCC to get rid of those settings try to use the gamma settings and monitor adjustment contols on the monitor to try and get things back to "normal"
    Does any one have any suggestions that wont cost me big bucks in software or calibration tools?

12. KsJET

KsJET

Feb 24, 2007
    MN
    I'm not sure what you consider big bucks, but Pantone huey was only $79.99 at Ritz and worth every penny! There are others out there for much more money, but I must be lucky because my monitor now looks exactly like the prints. There is no way to be sure your pictures look nice to everyone else online since that depends on their monitor, but I'm happy knowing that my edits will print how I want them to. Huey does not do printer profiles, it is only for monitor calibration, but that is all I wanted since I don't do my own printing.

13. Another vote for Pantone huey here but get the Pro model for an extra $25. Hardware is the same but software is more up to date.