Need clarification about Nikon Warranty

Hi,

I had a hard time selling my 35mm f/2 to someone on Craigslist because I didn't have the orig. receipt that would go with the warranty in case he needed to get service. After searching on the forum, I found the following thread (https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=234273) that dealt with some of these topics, however I did have some ? marks in my mind:

1) If you're a secondary buyer who bought the lens, and it's still within the 5-year warranty period, but have no sales receipt, there's really no way to prove that the lens is entitled to warranty service. There's virtually no way to prove that it was a "gift", would Nikon refuse warranty service?
2) Can I register the lens without a sales receipt?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
No and no,

Warranty is for original purchaser in USA only.

Sometimes some send it in with a receipt and do get service even if they bought it from another person, and sometimes they don't. I have heard it both ways on all of the forums.

The warranty is only valid to the original owner. If you bought it for a gift on Dec 15 and the new owner registered it on Jan 2 thats OK as long as you pass along your sales receipt with the gift. You can register it without the receipt but you will not get warranty work done without it. You can have it serviced and pay only if it has a US serial number or you have the receipt from the country of origin. It sounds like you are trying to sell a second hand lens with a warranty that doesn't exist! GH

The warranty is only valid to the original owner. If you bought it for a gift on Dec 15 and the new owner registered it on Jan 2 thats OK as long as you pass along your sales receipt with the gift. You can register it without the receipt but you will not get warranty work done without it. You can have it serviced and pay only if it has a US serial number or you have the receipt from the country of origin. It sounds like you are trying to sell a second hand lens with a warranty that doesn't exist! GH
Lol, no I'm not trying to sell anything without a standard warranty, I was just wondering if the guy had a "valid" point...

Plus I wanted to get some sort of clarification on how these things work. Thanks again for the replies.

It seems to me that the Nikon warranty is pretty murky and basically they do whatever they want on an individual case. I've heard of people getting their gray market equipment worked on even though that is not supposed to be allowed. Fortunately for me, I've never had to deal with Nikon repair services.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom