1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Need feedback on image colors - Smugmug

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Rich Gibson, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Would you please let me know which of each pairs appears more brilliant on your screens?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks, Rich

2. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

The first of each set...to me at least on this uncalibrated work monitor.

3. Thanks very much. After a few more folks respond I'll discuss the different color sets...although since you commented in another thread you've probably figured out which is which.

Thanks! Rich

4. Dave_Canada

Dave_Canada Guest

first of the two sets here also.

5. HSNewman

HSNewman

Aug 17, 2006
    Maryland
    First in each case on calibrated monitor. Difference is slight for first picture.

6. Thanks, the brighter ones are Adobe RGB. Current wisdom is that sRGB yields brighter images for the internet. This is opposite. Anyone have an answer? Iliah?

Thanks all, Rich

7. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    For me, the first of each pair looks slightly over-saturated and I'm seeing less detail, especially in the second pair.

Curious though - downloaded the images and they have no colour profile embedded.... :confused: 

8. What makes you think the top shots are in AdobeRGB colour space?
    The only reason I ask is because they appear on the monitor to have clipped channels and look awful, as they do if I import them into CS2 where my working space id AdobeRGB. However, if I assign sRGB to them in CS2 they suddenly acquire all that detail back and look correctly saturated.

9. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    First of each set

10. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    I'll have to go with #2 in each set. On my calibrated monitor I see much more detail in the second ones.

11. The top of each of the pairs are the Adobe98 images.

We're having a similar discussion in another thread about the same series of images. Smugmug claims, in their help section, to automatically convert Adobe98 to sRGB; that might explain why there is no indication of the color profile in the file. I assure you that nothing is clipped in either the sRGB or Adobe98 images. I use NX to create tif files in Adobe98 and then resized and converted the images to jpg sRGB.

In my Botanical garden series:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=110151

These sRGB images came out dull; quite disappointing. I took the sRGB images into Photoshop and converted to Adobe98 and saved them in a different location and re-uploaded them to another gallery. As I mentioned above Smugmug automatically converts them to sRGB.

I'm at a loss to explain the difference in the images since they are both apparently sRGB images. An explanation might be the software they use to convert the profiles.

I'm eager to learn.

Thanks for participating.

Rich

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  12. On my non-calibrated laptop, the first one is better in each series, though the first set is minorly different. I see a bigger difference in the second set.

13. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Dear Rich,

In the first pair #610 has clipped reds, shadows are plugged in red and green, details are lower. Not that #625 is ideal, but #610 looks wrong.

14. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    The first of each set for me on both 30" Apple Cinema(s).

15. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    double post

16. The other one was a series of images from the Alabama trip and the discussion evolved along similar lines. That's why I started this thread in the technical discussion forum. Is this a "gotcha?"

Rich

17. Marcos

Marcos

Nov 20, 2005
    FL, USA.
    To me the second ones on my calibrated monitor.
    First are over saturated.
    Marc.

18. Ba-da-bing! I'm using firefox. Safari shows a close match with Photoshop. I have all four images up on the 30" monitor and the originally duller tulip is closest to the Photoshop Adobe.

So much for Firefox.....

Thank you all for your help. Despite the advantages of Firefox it looks like for the Cafe I'll stick with Safari. You're never too old to learn.

Rich

19. I just started using Firefox......but don't understand this comment. Are you saying that it gives less real colors?

20. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    It displays differently than Safari if there is no color profile embedded. Long read if you have the time...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.