Need feedback on image colors - Smugmug

Would you please let me know which of each pairs appears more brilliant on your screens?

141613610-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

141613625-L.jpg

141613643-L.jpg

141613658-L.jpg

Thanks, Rich

G

Gr8Tr1x

The first of each set...to me at least on this uncalibrated work monitor.

Thanks very much. After a few more folks respond I'll discuss the different color sets...although since you commented in another thread you've probably figured out which is which.

Thanks! Rich

Thanks, the brighter ones are Adobe RGB. Current wisdom is that sRGB yields brighter images for the internet. This is opposite. Anyone have an answer? Iliah?

Thanks all, Rich

Jez

For me, the first of each pair looks slightly over-saturated and I'm seeing less detail, especially in the second pair.

Curious though - downloaded the images and they have no colour profile embedded.... :confused:

What makes you think the top shots are in AdobeRGB colour space?
The only reason I ask is because they appear on the monitor to have clipped channels and look awful, as they do if I import them into CS2 where my working space id AdobeRGB. However, if I assign sRGB to them in CS2 they suddenly acquire all that detail back and look correctly saturated.

The top of each of the pairs are the Adobe98 images.

We're having a similar discussion in another thread about the same series of images. Smugmug claims, in their help section, to automatically convert Adobe98 to sRGB; that might explain why there is no indication of the color profile in the file. I assure you that nothing is clipped in either the sRGB or Adobe98 images. I use NX to create tif files in Adobe98 and then resized and converted the images to jpg sRGB.

In my Botanical garden series:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=110151

These sRGB images came out dull; quite disappointing. I took the sRGB images into Photoshop and converted to Adobe98 and saved them in a different location and re-uploaded them to another gallery. As I mentioned above Smugmug automatically converts them to sRGB.

I'm at a loss to explain the difference in the images since they are both apparently sRGB images. An explanation might be the software they use to convert the profiles.

I'm eager to learn.

Thanks for participating.

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
On my non-calibrated laptop, the first one is better in each series, though the first set is minorly different. I see a bigger difference in the second set.

Dear Rich,

In the first pair #610 has clipped reds, shadows are plugged in red and green, details are lower. Not that #625 is ideal, but #610 looks wrong.

The other one was a series of images from the Alabama trip and the discussion evolved along similar lines. That's why I started this thread in the technical discussion forum. Is this a "gotcha?"

Rich

Ba-da-bing! I'm using firefox. Safari shows a close match with Photoshop. I have all four images up on the 30" monitor and the originally duller tulip is closest to the Photoshop Adobe.

So much for Firefox.....

Thank you all for your help. Despite the advantages of Firefox it looks like for the Cafe I'll stick with Safari. You're never too old to learn.

Rich

Latest threads

Top Bottom