Need HDR feedback

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Heddok, Apr 30, 2011.

1. I need some honest feedback on the following HDR. Done in Oloneo, a bit of a rush job. The colors are off because I edited on my wide gamut display and exported to sRGB for web to post here. Ignore that and tell me if the results are anywhere near realistic. I'm trying to learn how to shoot boat interiors and the conditions are always horrible the blown highlights in the windows are not necessarily a bad thing as all you see there is other boats.

thanks oloneo-.

2. Maybe it's because I'm inexperienced, but... If you hadn't said it was an HDR shot, I'd not be able to tell at all. It simply looks like a really well lit shot to me. I'd say great job...

Doug

3. I think it has done wonders for the lighting in this photo.

4. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    For me

it is an example of what a great improvement HDR can make if not overdone...

It has provided a perception of perfect lighting......well done...excellent

Best wishes

Ray

5. Looks great to me, and love the wood work :)

6. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Outside of the fact that I think the image needs a bit of straightening, I think it's fine. If you hadn't said it, I would never have known it was HDR.

7. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

Lighting and HDR are excellent.

But this type of photo is like architectural photography. You need to remove the distortion which is very visible in the photo. I have found that the sometimes subconscious perception of the distortion operates at a psychological level that makes the image feel less real. In contrast when you see one done right, it feels more like a real human view of the scene.

So you need to apply lens corrections for both vertical and horizontal perspective as well as a bit of tilt. I expect you also have some barrel distortion in there (which could be automatically corrected in PTLens or in Photoshop if they have the lens profile for the lens - was it the 14-24 or a 14 prime?).

If you like I could show you how that photo could be changed to make it look more natural; I've been doing a lot of interiors recently. It would be best if I had the full size JPG to start with. If you would like this, PM me for my email address or put the photo somewhere I can download it.

8. Thanks for the comments. The shot was taken with the 14-24 at 14mm. I did the auto lens correction in LR before sending it over to Oloneo for the 3 shot HDR. The version here is an intermediate version... not yet finished. I'll use the vertical and horizontal perspective adjustments in LR as you suggested. Yes I agree with you that it looks like it has barrel distortion but actually it doesn't. The roofline in this boat is curved and the roofliner ( the "ceiling" ) is curved as well. It's one of the many challenges of shooting boat interiors. I may pm you after some more tinkering, thanks for the offer.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2011
  9. Doug- Thanks for the kind words

I appreciate the feedback.

Ray - I'm new to HDR and not a fan of the overcooked HDR I've seen, I'm looking at it for photo's like this where the final result has to look natural.

Thomas - thanks, yes it's a nice boat, listed for sale at $699,000

Yeah I need to do some more work on perspective correction. see my comments to Growltiger. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

10. Ryan_T

Ryan_T

Mar 24, 2011
    Canada
    I came in here read to blast some juvenile cartoon HDR, and this is an example of nearly perfect use of HDR to improve a photo. Well done.

11. I agree with the others above. This is the type of scene that HDR ia meant to "fix". By blending multiple exposures to achieve even lighting throughout the image without blowing out highlights and having really dark shadows. Great job. I'd also like to see it when you are done adjusting for lens distortion.

12. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    Well done and as others have said one of the prime reasons IMO for using HDR. Agree about the difficult lighting experienced in some boat interiors. Apart from a little correction as she is listing a little to starboard you have a very nice image there.

Assume she is a USA or Canadian manufacture ? See if you can get onboard a Sunseeker the quality of finish is imo quite remarkable

13. Tony- Thanks for taking a look and your kind comments.

Yes I've been aboard a Sunseeker, very impressive. I've found though that a lot of the newer boats in the mutlimillion dollar class have a gloss polyurethane finish on the woodwork that makes photographing them even more difficult. As well lots of stainlees steel appliances as seen in this boat the fridge has a blown highlight I need to work on. I'd hate to have to do real estate photo's for the same reasons.

14. Great job in my opinion
    I hate overdone HDR -- but yours is very real looking
    Well done

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.