1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Need Help Choosing a process program

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stktek, Mar 14, 2011.

1. stktek

stktek

Mar 14, 2011
    California
    I currently shoot with a Nikon D7000. Random picture of everything while traveling for work. I would like to start shooting in RAW and wondering which program would be best for a beginner.
    Lightroom3
    Capture NX2
    Apeture3
    I currently run Ubuntu Linux on my home pc but am planing on getting a mac mini for just doing my photos.

2. corladon

corladon

Aug 7, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I used to use View NX2 and Photoshop Elements. I recently picked up LR 3 and have been very impressed with it. The catalog and imaging inventory is worth the price IMHO. The editing features are great as well. The only complaint I have about it is it puts a strain on my disk subsystem and dual core CPU.

I'm a Windows user and can't comment on Apeture.

3. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Add capture one express to that list. It's a lot closer to rawshooter than Lightroom (go figure), fairly easy to use (exposure control is a lot more predictable than in lightroom, IMNSHO) and at $100 not too expensive.

And don't forget Julien (Le Moderateur)'s tip to check out the phocus software from hasselblad (hasselblad.se) - it's free and apparently fairly decent.

4. Mike66

Mike66

Aug 21, 2009
    Darmstadt, Germany
    Mike
    Why not take advantage of the free trial offer from each program? Lightroom and Aperture have a 30-day trial period, and Capture NX2 has a 60-day trial period. In each case, the download version is fully functional.

5. Martytoof

Martytoof

Sep 21, 2010
    Ontario
    Definitely try Lightroom and Aperture trials. I used to be an Aperture pusher, but now I'm squarely in the Lightroom camp just because I find it to be snappier and easier to use on my machine.

6. I'm using elements to finish up what I can't do in Capture and just following the thread folks. Aperture is looking mighty nice to me however considering the amount of PP I do or have the patience to learn.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.