Need Help Choosing a process program

I currently shoot with a Nikon D7000. Random picture of everything while traveling for work. I would like to start shooting in RAW and wondering which program would be best for a beginner.
Lightroom3
Capture NX2
Apeture3
I currently run Ubuntu Linux on my home pc but am planing on getting a mac mini for just doing my photos.

I used to use View NX2 and Photoshop Elements. I recently picked up LR 3 and have been very impressed with it. The catalog and imaging inventory is worth the price IMHO. The editing features are great as well. The only complaint I have about it is it puts a strain on my disk subsystem and dual core CPU.

I'm a Windows user and can't comment on Apeture.

Add capture one express to that list. It's a lot closer to rawshooter than Lightroom (go figure), fairly easy to use (exposure control is a lot more predictable than in lightroom, IMNSHO) and at $100 not too expensive.

And don't forget Julien (Le Moderateur)'s tip to check out the phocus software from hasselblad (hasselblad.se) - it's free and apparently fairly decent.

Real Name
Mike
Why not take advantage of the free trial offer from each program? Lightroom and Aperture have a 30-day trial period, and Capture NX2 has a 60-day trial period. In each case, the download version is fully functional.

Definitely try Lightroom and Aperture trials. I used to be an Aperture pusher, but now I'm squarely in the Lightroom camp just because I find it to be snappier and easier to use on my machine.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom