Need help doing a Gradient Lens Blur

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Steve S, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    ok, the bride has selected the shot she wants, but I want to do a Gradient Mask using Lens Blur on it to further isolate her from the background. I've isolated her from the bg, but a regular lens blur doesn't look right. The amt of blur in the upper portion of the shot looks great, but the foreground portion of the shots still needs to be in focus, or it doesn't look believable or natural.

2. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Dear Steve,

If I understand your intention correctly, you can duplicate the layer, then add the lens blur to that duplicate, and apply gradient as a mask to the duplicate.

3. I guess you have two layers, the background layer (original) and a "lens-blurred" layer with a mask protecting the foreground. All you have to do is duplicate the background layer, put it on top of the blurred layer, add a layer mask, select the gradient tool, choose a black-to-white or black-to-transparent gradient and draw the gradient on the layer mask.
    A black-to-transparent (or white-to-transparent, depends on) gradient may also be superimposed on an already existing mask.

You may also paint on the mask of the blurr layer with a low opacity softedged white brush and gradually dissolve the black parts of the mask covering the original background. This has the advantage that you may do it in those places where you want less blurr.

However, if you just made a selection of the background and blurred it (without using layers) - then you have a problem.

Cheers

4. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Steve,

If you want the Lens Blur filter to actually use the gradient, I think this is the way you want to do it (I'm going from memory here, only did this once or twice).

Duplicate your layer and add a mask to it. Use the gradient tool to create the gradient on the mask. Then with this duplicate filter active launch the Lens Blur filter and I think you should be able to choose the option to have it use the gradient and it should work. Once you get finished with the filter you should also be able to tweak the mask if needed.

I'm not sure if this approach will produce substantially different results from the technique Iliah describes, though. If not, I think his approach is probably easier.

5. This basically correct. The only problem is - how to exclude the person from the lens blurr. This would require multiple masking (i.e. to protect the person).
    It would be good to see the pic to make a correct judgement of the situation.

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    That tutorial by R Brown is excellent. I really do need to be led my the hand for advanced stuff like this, and his vid does just that.
    Thanks for your help everyone, but just when I thought I was done with this project, another insurmountable problem has "cropped" up. Since the shot was framed so tightly in-cam, I'm not able to crop it to either an 8x10 or 11x14. Even after cropping off as much as I dare take off from the top & bottom, it's still an inch too tall for those dimensions. I told them to select a different shot.