1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

need help from former Clinic mentors

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Bosslady, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Bosslady

Bosslady

Jul 3, 2006
    South Arkansas
    Hello all, I hope this is the right spot for this. If not please move.

I have a touching photo that I would love some help touching up. Normally, I would chalk it up to a bad exposure. But this is a photo of my Uncle and his oldest grandchild. My uncle lives 8 hours away from me in south Louisiana. This past weekend I made the trip to see him. My uncle Tommy found out he's got cancer on his liver. He is not doing well, and doesn't like cameras. So this picture is a rare capture. In fact, before I took this photo he was fussing that I was back with that darn camera. She was looking up at him smiling about it. If it's possible to touch up this photo I know they would love a print of it.

If anyone could help with this shot, I'd really appreciate it.
    Thank you, Elizabeth
    [​IMG]

2. Hi, Elizabeth

Yes, this image has problems that start with the blown highlights. What that means is that there are no pixels to show contrast here. There isn't a lot one can do.

A typical approach in these circumstances is convert the image to black and white. I used Nik Color Pro 2 filter and did a tonal conversion. Then in PS I extracted the subjects from the background and places them on a gray background to minimize the effects.

I don't know if this is what you had in mind, but it's illustrative of what you could do if you wanted to make a print.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

NIKON D200    ---    31mm    f/4.0    1/40s    ISO 1250

3. Did you shoot raw??
    Anyway email me a full size to:service@villageimage.co.nz
    I just did a great job on a guy whose bald head I blew out in aw edding and am very happy with the result.

4. this is the best I could do...

DSC_5892copy.

couldn't do much about the blown highlights though.

5. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    still working on it too remove all blown bits

Ray

[​IMG]

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Always take a test shot in the light you will be shooting. ChECK THE HISTOGRAM and correct. Perhaps position your self a bit different.

7. Nice job Ray. Is that cloned or brushed in?

8. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Stephen

I am still working on it and have a lot more to do but thought I would post to see if I was on the right route.

I have mixed cloning and brusing and firrent levels and opacities to try to remove the glare etc....

Need to finish the nose but was scared of making in un-natural looking with no brighter areas anywhere...

Will post when finished

Best wishes

Ray

ps I am sure Peano will sort this out no problem....hope he see it!

9. Bosslady

Bosslady

Jul 3, 2006
    South Arkansas
    oh my, yall are amazing.

The bad thing is that this was my test shot.

No I didn't shoot in RAW. I was mainly taking snapshot like pictures just attempting to catch as much of the weekend moments as possible, and I was using a borrowed d200 that I was unfamilar with. (Thanks again for loaning the camera to me, Mark (bourbon Cowboy). Since my d70 crashed on me. I really appreciate it.)

I really not sure what to say, but to thank you for the time you are spending on this shot for me. Yall may never know how much it means to me. So, Thank you.

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    When I approach the Viera Wetlands (just an example) I give a quick shot to check the light in case something comes by , I am at least a bit more ready.
    At least most of the time I can get the shot and adjust on the fly by keeping my eye on the meter through the view finder.
    I do shoot manual mode so I try to keep it at 0. so all I have to do is change speed or aperature:>))
    Hope that helps a bit.
    Take some getting used to to pick up camera and always be kinda ready in lighting situations:>))))
    I was told when I first got a DSLR to put that camera on RAW:>)))))

Yeah lots of practice. Does not come over night for sure.
    I still have alot to learn

Sure wish I could take in a Ron Reznick lesson or 100

11. Bosslady

Bosslady

Jul 3, 2006
    South Arkansas
    Thank you, everyone. This picture means alot to me and I haven't been able to talk much about it as you have brought the life out in it. I really do appreciate the work you've done on it.

I will be returning down to south louisiana this weekend. I'm hoping to take a few pictures in frames of this.

also, thank you for the advice.

12. Fuggetaboudit. I'm always glad to lend a hand - or camera. But if you really want to thank me, get back down there and start snapping the shots. Because in a situation like this, you aren't really taking photos, you're stealing memories. JUST BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR SETTINGS!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.