Need help in cropping

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Greg, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    I really like the color and wing position on this shot but I can't seem to get anything more than "just a picture". Can some of you fine accomplished bird shooters offer suggestions on cropping this one? Leave the reflection in or out? cut a lot of the bottom out?

let me know, I'll be anxiously waiting.

[​IMG]

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Greg,

This is a pretty good shot, although it suffers from the typical, 'it ain't close enough' syndrome. About the best you can do is to crop it about 50%.

I'd leave the shadow in.

Regards,

Frank

3. Here is what I would do. Crop the top down to where the nice green reflections start, then crop about 1/3 of the distance between the bird and the left side, then crop the rest off the right side to give you the proper aspect ratio. If you need to crop a little off the bottom OK but do not crop the reflection off. Let us see the final crop.

4. I'd convert it to portrait. Crop from the top down to the start of the green reflection and up from the bottom to a similar distance keeping the reflection.
    Then take the height as your longest dimension and crop the width to keep the aspect ratio. This will drastically reduce the size of the image however, and may only work if you've got enough resolution in the picture to start with.

5. well

post a link to your original and let us play :lol:

6. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    Hey, this might be fun. We've already seen several different approaches to this plain photo. How about those that wish, go ahead and change it to the best you think it can be.

As Keith requested, here is link to original JPG straight from the camera.

http://number1son.smugmug.com/photos/20211273-O.jpg

7. Ok, here we go ...

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very well done Dougie!!

Regards,

Frank

9. Hmmm, I've cropped a tiny bit more of the bottom and reloaded it, but i'll need to wait for P-Base to renew it's cache. Hopefully now it's screen sized and better centred.

10. Or you can just wade in closer like Frank does, waist deep in water to shoot a GBH or osprey. 8)

Nice shot, good input here, thought I'd add my 1.5cents.

11. My version

OK, here is my version of your image. I wanted to leave room for the bird to fly into the picture and didn't want to crop it anymore because it has good detail at this size. I also brightened it up a bit with added contrast.

12. Good one Gordon !
    Brightening it certainly makes a difference.

13. Here's my shot at it

tried to do it under 3 minutes, but took 5........maybe a tad dark but based on small file turned out ok.............

original.

14. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    they all have merrit. this was very interesting. I like Gordons the best. Doesn't look as crowded. I hadn't even thought about Keiths approach. Well done folks.

15. Very well done Dougie and I agree with the others, nice colors and nice crop. I also like the way you captured the duck flying.

16. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great addition Keith. I like it.

Good job guys.