Need Help in Smoothing Transition

I used the "Flood" plug-in to create the reflection in this image:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

As you can see, the transition between the original image and the reflection produced by "Flood" is rather obvious. I'm having a serious brain-cramp and can't figure out how to get rid of that hard transition.

Is there a simple method to brush in a smooth transition of some sort? I'm thinking perhaps Gaussian Blur, but how would one brush that in? I've used "Flood" before and figured out how to do this, but I can't seem to recall how.

Any help would be appreciated!

That is the way it would look in nature. Leave it alone.

But I suppose you could have the top and bottom on separate layers and use a gradient on one layer and the opposite on the other.

Nice creative use of flood . I like it.

That is the way it would look in nature. Leave it alone.

But I suppose you could have the top and bottom on separate layers and use a gradient on one layer and the opposite on the other.

Nice creative use of flood . I like it.
Thanks, Ronald. However, I can't leave it alone. That hard edge annoys me.

I tried experimenting with using a feathered layer mask at the edge and applying Gaussian Blur.

I think I can see what you mean about the transitions and the hard edge - although I do agree with Ronald i.e. much of it is as would be seen in nature . IMO the hard edge is appropriate at your focus point and should soften of as you leave the depth of focus area. Therefore painting in the blur maybe a good option.

An untried suggestion using PS or similar.

1. Dup background/image layer

2. Apply Gaussian blur to the dup layer (experiment with radius - maybe 4 or 5?)

3. Add a mask to the blur layer and invert to conceal all the blur

4. Paint on the mask with a soft white brush to introduce back into the scene varying the brush opacity to get the desired soft transitions for the varying distances

5. Further fine tuning may be accomplished by varying the layer opacity or blending mode.