1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

need help making up mind...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alan, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Alan

Alan

May 9, 2008
    Georgia
    I'm looking at getting a 85 1.8 for shooting basketball in a poorly lit gym. But is it really gonna make enough difference from a 2.8 lens to the 1.8? So if I were shooting 1/250, how much faster could I shoot? I know I would like to go for the 1.4 when it comes to getting the fastest lens, but price difference won't cut it. I thought about 135 f2, but again huge price difference.

I know there are some basketball shooters in here, any suggestions and/or tips...I'm thinking now of using the 70-200 2.8, underexposing alittle for speed, and pulling out in PP.

2. f/2.8 f/2 f/1.4 so you will have 1 and 2/3 of a stop, so that's nearly 2 stops more light

Wide open at f/1.8 you'd be able to shoot around 1/500 to 1/650 at 1.8 if you could get 250 at 2.8

f/1.4 would give you 1/1000 but I have a feeling 1.4 and 1.8 are too little dof for sports.

If you underexpose and then lift it in PP, you will increase noise a lot, you'd be better lifting your ISO, and then exposing correctly, are you able to use any flashes?

3. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Actually the difference between 2.8 and 1.8 is about 1 3/4 stop (lg 2.8 / lg 1.8 = 1.75) and as previous poster pointed out that's a decent difference.

Instead of 1/250 you could be shooting at 1/840 or whatever is closest. Mmmh. Maybe I should get that 85/1.8 instead of waiting until I can buy the 1.4 instead...

4. Alan

Alan

May 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Thanks, looks like I'll be going with an 85.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.