Need help......new to me Nikon 105 f2.8 VR.....

Real Name
Chris
But don't you have to hesitate a brief moment to let VR "settle down" after pressing the shutter button?
I know the earliest VR lenses required that. I had the first VR 24-120. It had a bad reputation as being soft, but that was caused by people just shooting without the half second pause. Once I learned that, my images with that lens were stellar. I believe the other early VR lens, the 80-400 was the same.

These days VR technology has matured. VR lenses are used for sports, birding, photojournalism, grandchildren ..., There are lots of situations where fast shooting is a must and VR lenses are usually used in these situations, not so much for slower shutter speeds, but for VR's ability to stabilize the image while the camera is being moved.

Your 105 is an early VR lens, so slow and deliberate shooting should benefit your image's quality.

@Butlerkid, I realise your question has been answered, but it is a trap for Nikon users and macro lenses. Nikon, is one of the few, maybe the only one, which reports effective aperture. With a 100mm lens, when you get to 1:1 the effective aperture is 2 stops so the lens becomes f5.6. I’ve been out with Canon shooters who make comments regarding how their macro lenses stay at f/2.8 when they are close or at 1:1. Even though their camera body is not reporting effective aperture, the metering is taking it into account.

It’s a great lens, and is quite a versatile focal length!

These days VR technology has matured. VR lenses are used for sports, birding, photojournalism, grandchildren ..., There are lots of situations where fast shooting is a must and VR lenses are usually used in these situations, not so much for slower shutter speeds, but for VR's ability to stabilize the image while the camera is being moved.
I use my 70-200 this way, when I shoot sports.
I use the VR to stabilize the image so that I can hold the AF point on the subject, rather than have the subject bounce around the viewfinder, and be hard to hold the AF point on it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom