Need Help On What To Buy

What should i buy IYO?

• Total voters
Im selling off my old Olympus gear and will be getting around 500 USD out of it. Now ive been thinking of what to get with it, but im not sure. Id like to know your opinions. Here are my options:

1. Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro AF Lens:

2. Nikon SB-900 AF Speedlight i-TTL Shoe Mount Flash

3. Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Macro Autofocus Lens

4. Apple 16GB iPad 2 with Wi-Fi (White)

5. Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Digital Micro Four Thirds Camera W/14mm Lens (Black)

Thanks for all feedback :)

While it does have dual lenses, the iPad 2 has never really been known for its optics. Also, it has vastly different handling characteristics when compared to a DSLR or micro-4/3s camera. Some might even consider it "awkward" to use as a camera. My biggest complaint with the iPad 2 is the lack of a hot shoe. It's just hard to take it as a serious competitor here.

While it does have dual lenses, the iPad 2 has never really been known for its optics. Also, it has vastly different handling characteristics when compared to a DSLR or micro-4/3s camera. Some might even consider it "awkward" to use as a camera. My biggest complaint with the iPad 2 is the lack of a hot shoe. It's just hard to take it as a serious competitor here.

Haha i didnt mean it that way. I just meant generally, if you had the money, which one would it be?

It depends what on you shoot.

at the moment im shooting a lot of action sports but will be needing some tele function in summer. I have a tammy 18-250 but the 70-200 is simply better...i need a small compact for a music festival and i do quite a bit of macro work when i have the time...so theres my dilemma...

I can't recommend you the Tamron 70-200 2.8 unless you do strictly portraits. Motor's slow to focus, misses a lot, and sounds like a dentist's drill. Glass is absolutely spectacular though.

I know this is not one of your choices, but according to your signature, you don't have a decent tele lens... Therefore I would recommend the Nikon 70-300VR! :biggrin: If I have to choose on the poll choices, I would choose the 60G Micro though. Have fun!

I know this is not one of your choices, but according to your signature, you don't have a decent tele lens... Therefore I would recommend the Nikon 70-300VR! :biggrin: If I have to choose on the poll choices, I would choose the 60G Micro though. Have fun!

I would love to but where can i get a good one of those for a reasonable price??

I find it strange that there aren't more recommendations for a flash (I assume that you have some lenses already). A good flash opens up some new avenues for your photography.

On DX, it is my humble opinion that everyone should be forced to buy and use the 35mm f/1.8. Not just in terms of quality photos for a cheap price, but also for making you think, move, compose etc. without zooming.

Matt

I find it strange that there aren't more recommendations for a flash (I assume that you have some lenses already). A good flash opens up some new avenues for your photography.

On DX, it is my humble opinion that everyone should be forced to buy and use the 35mm f/1.8. Not just in terms of quality photos for a cheap price, but also for making you think, move, compose etc. without zooming.

Matt

Ive got an SB-700 and love it which is why the SB-900 is part of the list.

As for the 35mm i have one of those on order at amazon, so will have one once they're in stock :)

Real Name
Heiko
I would also consider the 70-300VR. It gives a lot of reach on DX and is reasonably fast in focus acquisition. I own a Tamron 28-75/2.8 with built-in motor and if the 70-200 uses a similar focusing motor, then I would not recommend it. My Tamron makes a lot of noise while focusing and the focus speed is, well, much to be desired. Optically I have nothing to complain. I suggest to give the Tamron a try BEFORE you make any purchasing decision.

Have you considered the 80-200/2.8 AF-D or AF-S? Optically they are very nice and, speaking of my D700, the AF-D version I own focuses pretty fast. It is, however, almost as big and heavy as the 70-200/2.8.

Latest threads

Top Bottom