Need help removing a stuck UV Filter on a rubber hood

I have a UV filter that I can't for the life of me, remove off a Mamiya rubber hood. It's a 77mm Nikon NC Filter, which has a slightly smaller profile than regular filters. I've tried all the tricks, but I can't get the filter off the hood.

Any tips that can get the hood and filter to unscrew? Thanks!

Try your mouse pad, the back of it is rubber, push down with both hands and try to unscrew. I'm sure you have tried the filter wrench? use rubber band over filter rim for better traction

I have a ND10 filer stuck to my cokin ring and nothing can get them apart. So folks if you have any ideas please share.

I don't have a filter wrench on me. Problem is exerting enough force to remove it without breaking it. I don't know how I got these two things stuck together? Ugh.

You could try a little silicon spray which readily soaks into the threads and then use the method above of pushing down onto a rubber surface such as a mouse pad and then turn. It work for nuts that are stuck so I would guess it would work for a filter. Besides it is good to have a can of silicon spray around the house for squeaky doors, et al.

You could try a little silicon spray which readily soaks into the threads and then use the method above of pushing down onto a rubber surface such as a mouse pad and then turn. It work for nuts that are stuck so I would guess it would work for a filter. Besides it is good to have a can of silicon spray around the house for squeaky doors, et al.

Hmm, is there anyway I can get the lubricant on without it being messy? I still want to use the filter.

once you put silicon on it, it will be slick as the dickens. Avoid that if you can. Typically it's a matter of grip than the actual strength it is on there with. Best suggestion is thick rubber band over edges of filter, while haning onto hood however you can.

once you put silicon on it, it will be slick as the dickens. Avoid that if you can. Typically it's a matter of grip than the actual strength it is on there with. Best suggestion is thick rubber band over edges of filter, while haning onto hood however you can.

I'm having a leverage issue though. The only way I can grip the hood is with it extended out. The surface space of the filter is quite small, so getting a firm grip with a rubberband on the filter is quite hard. Then when I try to exert effort, I can't get enough torque due to the rubber of the hood, it just starts to flex.

I'm almost thinking of heading to Nikon and have them fix this!

G

gladjo

I finally took mine to a camera shop where they removed it for free.

I had a filter jammed on a hood that I couldn't remove by gripping it in my fingers and twisting, probably because while I gripped it, I was exerting enough pressure to slightly deform the circular filter making it even more difficult to unscrew.
Pressing it down on a mousepad with my palm while twisting it, removed it easily and without having to result to any sprays or lubricants.
As GKR1 first suggested, this is likely the easiest, and neatest solution.

Real Name
Michael
These rubber grip jar openers have worked well for me. Available at Amazon.

31MfTDLyNrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Tony Admana
That happened to me once with my 50mm AF D with rubber hood. Boy! that was really annoying particularly with a 52 diameter filter lens, but thanks to my wife's rubber gloves for dishwashing, I was able to unscrew it off. Give it a try..... and Good Luck.:smile:

I always keep a box of latex gloves around the house since they come in handy for many things from working on the car to gripping things like stuck filters. Funny thing that you mention a stuck Mamiya hood. Same thing happened to me. I used a latex glove on one hand to grip the filter ring (but not hard enough to compress it) and gripped the thick Mamiya hood with my thumb on the outside and the rest of my hand inside and turned. It worked.

I always keep a box of latex gloves around the house since they come in handy for many things from working on the car to gripping things like stuck filters. Funny thing that you mention a stuck Mamiya hood. Same thing happened to me. I used a latex glove on one hand to grip the filter ring (but not hard enough to compress it) and gripped the thick Mamiya hood with my thumb on the outside and the rest of my hand inside and turned. It worked.

Latex gloves work all the time for me as well and with minimal force at that, while I seemed to use all my might without them. :biggrin:

Try Heat....

Heat up the threaded area with a blow dryer. Heat will cause the metal to expand and loosen.

Don't use a heat gun, they are way too hot and likely will cause damage to something.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom