1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Need help setting up new system(s)

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by sewwhatsports, Jun 30, 2008.

1. sewwhatsports

sewwhatsports

Nov 26, 2007
    Dover, De
    Help please. I am currently running a Dell Inspiron 1505 laptop as my primary computer. I ordered and received today a desktop system that I want to use with the laptop. I got a 22" UltraSharp monitor and the system is an Inspiron 530 mini tower. My first concern comes with getting ready to set up the whole system. Can I have both systems plugged into the monitor? On my laptop I have a VGA input that I can use to hook to the monitor. On the mini tower there is a DVI input that can be hooked to the monitor as well. Can I actually hook 2 systems to the same monitor and use them simultaneously or do I have to use them seperately?

Next question is this. Can I set up a sharing connection between the 2 computers? One is running Vista (laptop) while the other has XP Pro (by choice). I would like to set up my photography on the desktop as well so I can share and save to either set up. Am I hoping to do the impossible?

I have not opened anything with the new system yet as I want to have some idea what to do before I get deep into the process. There is nothing more frustrating than starting a project and having no idea how to accomplish what you want. And that is where I am right now. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. whyhan

whyhan

Jun 14, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    The answer to both your questions are: as Obama would say, yes we can :smile:

According to the manual, your monitor will accept the dvi-out from your tower and vga-out from your laptop.

Assuming both laptop and tower has internet connection, yes you can share data between the 2. However, a bit of configuration will be needed for both.

hope that helps.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.