Need help with a couple of Photoshop settings

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by yahtzee, Apr 7, 2007.

1. I just made the switch to Windows Vista (I love it, BTW). I used to have a bunch of crop presets loaded when I was running XP but elected to do a clean install in the spirit of starting over.

My questions are this. Say I open up an original image from my D200 and decide I need to crop it a little differently. What dpi do i need to set it at and if I want to retain its original size, do I just mirror the original pic (meaning if it was a 3872x2592 do I crop it to that again). Just looking for some overall tips as I got so used to just doing it before that I didnt pay much attention to the settings I was using.

2. Most print labs want 300 ppi

In Photoshop, on the crop tool bar, preset crop tools are on the left.
    You'll find different sizes and all set to 300 ppi

You can save presets by choosing your size and ppi, then click on the crop symbol on the tool bar (it's on the left) click the icon in the drop down menu that looks like a floppy, and save you settings

3. Peano

Peano

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, D.C.
    Dpi has isn't relevant. With the crop tool selected, enter those dimensions -- 3872 px and 2592 px (you need to specify px) -- in the width and height boxes. Then click the "Front Image" button on the toolbar. Then crop.

The cropped image will be resampled and resized to 3872 px x 2592 px.

[NOTE: I'm assuming you mean actual image size and not print size, which is a different matter altogether.]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.