Need help with Calibration issue - Dell 2209WA and software

I recently got my new Dell 2209WA monitor. I used my friends Eye One Display 2 with the most recent software. At first it wouldnt do the advanced calibration. I lowered the RGB levels in the monitor to 74 for each and it then would work fine.

Here is the problem - I open files in Nikon ViewNX, process in Capture NX2 and finish in Photoshop CS2. Images pp'd on my calibrate LaCie print out just like they look on the images I view thru Internet Explorer on my Pbase site. But since I got the new Dell monitor, when I open any of the images in ViewNX, CaptureNX2 and Photoshop they all seem to have exaggerated magenta in them. The skin tones are way too red, almost at times like they have a light sunburn. The prints and photos viewed online match, but when viewed in Photoshop, ViewNX or Capture NX2 they are too red. This will be a problem as I will not be able to adjust colors and have them come out in print as I expect.

I was able to get Photoshop to show me the same image if I went to menu at top and pulled down View>Proof Setup and checked on Monitor RGB, the image then looked exactly like the print and what is seen on pbase. The problem is I have to do that for each image. I can turn off color management in the Edit>Color Settings menu, and then when I open an image it asks me if I want to use the embedded profile or not, or not color manage. If I dont color manage, the image comes out just like the print.

Here is an image I took at a Bar Mitzvah of a local Rabbi's son, it printed out fine and looks fine here, but on the image viewers and pp'ing software its too red

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

so please, can someone help me with this.

When I go in ViewNX and pull down the menu and go to color management > display and click on it, it brings me to my calibration profile showing my recent calibration with the Eye One software. I just dont get this.

Dan, that is not the issue. What the issue is now is that it looks good on Pbase, they print fine. When I open the images in any photo viewer, or pp software they have too much magenta, looks like they have a sunburn. There will be now way I can properly adjust colors to come out fine if they happen to be off.

I posted this response in another thread, but here goes:

I'm not an expert with this, but here are a few possibilities. Again, I probably know just enough to be dangerous.

The applications that you mentioned (View NX, Capture NX and Photoshop) are color managed applications. Internet Explorer is NOT color managed. Therefore, it is the color managed programs that will be applying the settings embedded in your image. Internet Explorer simply applies an overall assumption when displaying the image.

My Dell monitor has a number of color setting preset modes: Standard, Adobe RBG, sRGB and Custom Color to name a few. When I calibrated my monitor, I made sure that I was in the Custom Color mode.

After calibration, I went into Control Panel>>Adjust Screen Resolution>>Selected the Monitor (since I'm using two monitors)>>Advanced Settings>>Color Management>>checked "Use My Settings for this Device>>ensure that the monitor profile created by Eye One is being used for your monitor.

Glenn

What I dont get is if the software applies the settings embedded in the image, why does it look good on pbase and print out nothing like it looks in the software?

I posted this response in another thread, but here goes:

I'm not an expert with this, but here are a few possibilities. Again, I probably know just enough to be dangerous.

The applications that you mentioned (View NX, Capture NX and Photoshop) are color managed applications. Internet Explorer is NOT color managed. Therefore, it is the color managed programs that will be applying the settings embedded in your image. Internet Explorer simply applies an overall assumption when displaying the image.

My Dell monitor has a number of color setting preset modes: Standard, Adobe RBG, sRGB and Custom Color to name a few. When I calibrated my monitor, I made sure that I was in the Custom Color mode.

After calibration, I went into Control Panel>>Adjust Screen Resolution>>Selected the Monitor (since I'm using two monitors)>>Advanced Settings>>Color Management>>checked "Use My Settings for this Device>>ensure that the monitor profile created by Eye One is being used for your monitor.

Glenn

Bob Collette, from dpreview, was kind enough to help me today. He emailed me his profile for his Dell 2209 WA. I installed it and it was pretty much perfect looking on my monitor.

He installed my profile on his monitor and had the same problem I had. Also, my profiles were like 600-700k his was 7k.

I will borrow a different unit from another friend and calibrate my monitor. Hopefully it will work out better then. For now, I am up and running. No more excessive magenta and saturation.

Thanks all for the help. It was a few days of frustration. I have calibrated monitors before, no big deal. This was just a nightmare.

Big thanks to Bob for taking getting on the phone with me

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom