Need help with decision

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by sfoxjohn, Jul 6, 2008.

1. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    I am cross posting this with the pictures/miscellany section only because I need a reply by tomorrow and there are members who inhabit this forum who I regard very highly.

Can you please tell me which of the three versions of this shot you prefer?

I need to make up my own mind by tomorrow (Monday), but am torn mostly because I think that one of the B & Ws fits the mood of the late 19th and early 20th century better. But the colors in the color version seem compelling also.

Thanks in advance to all.

326472575_m8SuH-L.jpg

326472580_378u5-L.jpg

326472586_xqSck-L.jpg

2. #2 for me
    but... if you could put the FLOOR from #3 into the SECOND image..... it would be the BIG WINNER for me

3. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Thanks Greg. I also got your message under "Miscellany".

4. I like #2 ..... feels like it fits as a time piece.

Regards,

5. Well, John, I'm keen on #2 as well.
    I guess that makes it 3 for 3!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

6. I think the B&W version #2 is the best for this particular subject. The machinery stands out better and for some reason it looks less cluttered than the colored version.

7. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    I like 1. I love the color...the way the light hits the hardwoods, the way the lights hit the supporting beams. I realize I am not in the majority here...but it's what I like.

8. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    No.1 for me too.

9. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi John

My choice would be number 2...

However, I too like the floor in 3...

I had a play and put the floor from 3 in 2 and also some tint to make it look old..

Best wishes

Ray

[​IMG]

10. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    I really appreciate all your fast replies and comments. I will go with the majority, but with the floor of #3.

I have darkened the floor rather easily as it turns out. So this latest incarnation is the result of using the red filter in layer/image adjustments/black & white, adding a little blue which brings out the darker machine parts, and finally subtracting a lot of yellow which darkened the floor as in number 3. The result is basically #2 with the yellow reduction. It probably would have been a lot more work if I didn't have CS3.

Ray old friend, I don't know whether this is how you did it or not. I do prefer to stick to just the B&W - no toning.

Finally, since you all took the trouble to help, let me say that I created #3 because I thought the "real" old wheel might actually have been dark.

326571415_CnXj3-L.jpg

11. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi John

yes, that was it....I knoew you would do something similar so the toned version was just an option.......

OK for me...and I hope you don't mind....it has to be your last processed image....

By the way....great image whatever!!!!

Best wishes as always

Ray

12. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Thanks Ray.

For the record, the photo was taken on a mill floor at a museum in Lowell, Mass. The museum consists of a large part of the town, including a number of other buildings situated along a river. It even has a canal.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2008
  13. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Martin and "Seneca", I love the colors in the picture too. But since the subject is well over a hundred years old, I think that any "feel" comes more from black and white.

My family like both, but prefer the color version. C'est la vie!

14. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Still like #3 best

15. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Aw Tim. Now I feel like I should do some research into whether or not colors like that vivid red were actually used then. My suspicion that they were not is what led to #3.

Thanks for taking time to review.

16. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    There's just this one thing that inks me John. The red wheel part of the machinery now looks more white than the original red color. So the original #3 was pretty close, imo. If you want it to look close to the original, perhaps try to lighten the red and green channel by just a hair?

17. ibcj

ibcj

Dec 19, 2006
    New York
    I like the modified version of #2 the best. Very nice capture.

18. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Kind of like this? I won't get offended if you don't like it, this is so subjective really.

[​IMG]

19. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Lynda you have certainly found a middle ground for that "red" wheel. Thanks for demonstrating what you meant in your first post. My reaction is that it makes the overall effect a little bland. As you say, treatment of this picture is very subjective.

20. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Wow! This is anything but bland. Very dramatic. My reaction is that it loses more detail than I would want to sacrifice. Thanks for going to the trouble to find another alternative. I have a reason for needing a print tomorrow or else I might try modifying some of the modifications.