Need help with ID on shore bird, Lesser Yellowlegs

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Louis Champan, May 6, 2007.

1. These were taken a few weeks ago, and I'm not real sure of the ID on this shore bird. I wasn't able to get very close before they flew off. I shot these with D2X & 500mm.

original.

original.

original.

Louie

Thanks everyone for helping in ID'ing these birds as Lesser Yellowlegs.

Louie

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2007
  2. Hi Louie,

I think it is a Yellowlegs, at least I think the legs are yellow in the second photo. The upturned bill best seen in the first and third photos would make it a Greater Yellowlegs (14 inches long vs 10 for the Lesser).

Hope this helps (and is right)
    Bob

3. I can not confirm the ID right this minute but I think Bob is correct. They are oustanding images of it

4. Greater Yellowlegs perhaps

Went though two "bird books"- hard to tell from photos- size, locomotion habits, etc., did they have yellow legs?.. . may be juveniles which are darker brown above with more contrasting whitish specs then the adults. .

5. Thanks Bob. I'm thinking it is a Lesser Yellowlegs.

Louie

6. These are nice pics of what I would call Lesser Yellowlegs. Bill length is considerably less than 1.5x bill base to nape distance and the basal third of he bill appears to be the same colour as the other 2/3. Any colour difference appears to be light reflection. The overall bird size difference is useful only if both species or something else of known size is close enough to be used for comparison. Other than that it just looks like a lesser! Lessers appear more delicate and "cuter" than greaters.

Cheers,

Larry

7. Thanks Larry, I appreicate your efforts on ID'ing the birds. I agree that they are Lesser Yellowlegs.

Louie

8. Thanks Jerry, I think after all the good input I've gotten that these are Lesser Yellowlegs.

Louie

9. Thanks David, I appreciate it.

Louie

10. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    excellent captures Louie.