1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Need Help with Manual Focus 105mm 2.5

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by lisantica, Jun 21, 2007.

1. lisantica

lisantica

Jul 4, 2006
    So. Calif.
    Received my new to me Nikkor 105mm 2.5 Ai-S lens today, LOVE it! Don't know how to use it, but I love it! :biggrin:

Here are two samples I took because I couldn't wait to get it on my D1H and fire away.

Here's Dewey (my avatar all grown up).
    large.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I knew to put the camera on "M", but I don't know if I should have put the camera on Manual, Program, Shutter or Aperture Mode?
    Does ISO just work the same as when in Auto Focus? Do I need to manually turn the 2.5 all the way to 22 f/stop depending the depth of field I want?

Here's another shot of my dog Morey. He's a hard one to capture being so dark. No flash used in either photo.
    Thoughts, tips?

View attachment 101958

2. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't know about the D1, but for my D200 the camera automatically goes into Aperture-Priority mode when a non-CPU lens is mounted.You can also shoot in Manual exposure mode with a non-CPU lens.

You have to use the lens to adjust F-stop, setting it on f/22 does not allow the command dials to control aperture.

The D200 has a menu item to input max aperture and focal length of non-CPU lenses. This enables Color Matrix metering. If no value is input, metering defaults to center-weighted but you can select spot as well.

That's how it works on the D200, YMMV on the D1.

Hope this helps and enjoy the 105! It's really a great piece of glass.

Bill

3. lisantica

lisantica

Jul 4, 2006
    So. Calif.
    Thank you both for your input.
    This is like learning photography...something I've tried to avoid :biggrin:

Seriously though, I think this lens is going to teach me a thing or two, and it will be worth it. I like the results so far and I'm far from mastery with it, so I figure I can only improve.

Lisa

4. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
  5. lisantica

lisantica

Jul 4, 2006
    So. Calif.
    Thanks Bill! I just looked it up and it appears that setting the camera to Manual will work. Aperture mode will work with AI lenses, so I assume Ai-S is the same? My manual didn't mention Ai-S lenses, just AI.

Lisa

6. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    AI-S lenses work the same as the AI's.

FWIW, I love the Katz-Eye screen on the D200. A good investment if you're going to do a lot of MF work on a DSLR.

Bill

7. lisantica

lisantica

Jul 4, 2006
    So. Calif.
    I just went to their website and they don't list one for the D1 series. I'll keep looking around.

Lisa

8. You will love the lens Lisa.
    On the D1 series, I suggest that you put the camera in "A" (aperture priority) mode.
    Then dial in the desired aperture on the lens and the camera will adjust the appropriate shutter speed. You can then dial in some over- or under exposure on the camera if needed.
    Be aware that focusing needs to be precise, especially up close at small aperture values. Also, be sure that you have sufficient shutter speed available for this lens's focal length. If there is little light available, boost your ISO value or use a tripod.
    Enjoy getting acquainted with this beauty, it is worth it!

9. lisantica

lisantica

Jul 4, 2006
    So. Calif.
    I've learned a lot by owning a manual focus lens. I (shamefully) had never used the over/under exposure button before. I was always trying to make adjustments by raising the ISO or lowering the shutter speed. Getting much better results now! I'll post another pic in a few minutes.

Thank you Frits!
    Lisa

10. ffb2t

ffb2t

Jan 16, 2006
    CA
    You can replace the D1h/D1x focusing screen with one made for the fm3a (also works with an f100 and should work with a d1 (see no reason why it would not)). You just file off the little tab on the fm3a focusing screen with a jewelers file of a dremel. No problem at all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.