Need help with Nikon 300mm 2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by galupi20, Jul 14, 2007.

1. galupi20

Jun 12, 2006
    A friend of mine offers me a Nikon 300mm AF-S 2.8 ED IF MK I ( non MK II, non VR ). ( 2.700 U$S here in Argentina ) Is there much diferences in quality between those models ? ( Sharpness, contrast, quality of tripod collar etc. )

Thanks in advance

2. My understanding is that Mk I and II are almost the same optically. Mk II is slightly lighter and Mk I supposedly has a better tripod collar. The full explanation is available here:
    There have also been several threads on the Cafe that will come up if you search.
  3. slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    I beleive this is the LINK Larry was looking for. Bjorns site is difficult to link.
  4. Frank207be

Mar 11, 2006
    The lens that your friend offers is fantastic, but IMO 2700$ is a bit on the high side, or am I wrong?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2007
  5. A mark I will sell in the $2500 range here, a mark II around $3100-3300. The Mark II has a carbonfiber hood not sure if the Mark I does...

Yes they are both very good lenses, the Mark I might be slightly heavier. As for tripod mount the Mark II is not that bad. After you mount it on a full wimberely it doesn't matter anyway since the balance and free floating design pretty much kills the vibrations....

6. galupi20

Jun 12, 2006
    Thanks a lot to all of you

7. How the heck did that happen? I could have sworn I linked the correct page.

Anyway, the hood on the Mk I is carbon fiber. Unless I'm mistaken, it seems from Bjorn's description that parts of the barrel on the MkII are carbon fiber, not just the hood.