need help with posing ideas for couples (updated to add another sample shot)

Discussion in 'People' started by jeremyInMT, Jul 16, 2007.

1. jeremyInMT

jeremyInMT Guest

I'm supposed to take pictures tonight of a couple that are friends of mine. We're going to eat dinner and then I'm going to take the pictures. These are not really wedding pictures but they wanted some "pre-wedding" pictures. They've been engaged for awhile, so I don't know if it's really an engagement photo-session either. In any case, they don't expect perfect results but I'd like to do a good job. Does anyone have hints on posing and so forth? I have a D80, SB-800 with "a better bounce card", 17-55 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 50/1.8, 85/1.8, a tripod, and multiple camera batteries and two sets of flash batteries that I figure should get the job done overall. I think posing is probably the biggest concern I have. Any tips and/or examples are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2007
  2. Seth

Seth

Jun 6, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    I'm glad you posted this thread. I was needing some of this exact info. Thanks Gordon for posting your links as well, those two sets provide a lot of great posing ideas.

3. jeremyInMT

jeremyInMT Guest

Gordon, this is some superb stuff to study. I'll be going over these some more. I really appreciate the help. What did you use for lighting?

4. At the time all I had was one flash, a RRS bracket, and a Gary Fong Lightspehere. It worked but could have been much better if I had some stands and an umbrella or two. I used my SB800 on the flash bracket and on the second set of images I had acquired an SB600 and on some images I used it as a hair light. On the first set of images they were all shot with one flash only.

Since this time I have learned that it is really helpful if you have an assistant to help you.

5. jeremyInMT

jeremyInMT Guest

updated info

I have a friend who is going to lend me his two SB-800's and his kit of 2 32" Impact umbrellas with stands...anyone have a diagram of a setup they like to use with this type of setup?

6. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    My personal preference is to avoid too much of the "looking directly at the camera and smiling" photography, and more of the photojournalistic.

Try to get them to do more dynamic poses, like the man lifting the woman up, or having them run towards you, away from you... Using the 70-200 would be ideal for this because you want the extra working distance, the versatility of the zoom, and the shallow DoF.

You can try having them stand or sit in the distance, and tell them to be cuddly, and snipe away with your 70-200 from far away, without them looking directly at the camera. Try some wider and some closer shots this way.

If the light's still good you won't need flash. It will preserve the sunset atmosphere more if you don't use flash.

That's just my $0.02 :) Good luck!

7. jeremyInMT

jeremyInMT Guest

Well, I have a whole new respect for portrait shooters. Here is one of my faves from the shoot last night. Anything I could have done better?

[​IMG]

8. It's a cute shot Jeremy and you have balanced the light nicely and darkened the background. Well done.

9. jeremyInMT

jeremyInMT Guest

Gordon,

Thank you for taking the time to comment. It is much appreciated. I think I have a lot to learn. I can only hope to garner more helpful comments as I keep trying.

10. Nope, I think it's very good as is! Well done.

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice
    I bet they like that image

12. jeremyInMT

jeremyInMT Guest