Need help with slipping Manfrotto 3232

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Rich Gibson, May 4, 2007.

1. I'm trying to shoot birds high in trees so I have to tilt my Sigma 120-300 with 2.0 TC and D2X way back. Since the center of gravity is high above the rotation axis of the 3232, when It gets to a high angle the assembly just flops to the vertical position. Disassembling the 323 I found a fiber/rubber washer which apparently is the source of friction. The 3232 tightening knob is not long enough to tighten it sufficiently to keep the flopping over. I also suspect if I used a longer handle, or plyers, the threads in the through bolt might strip. Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks, Rich

2. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    Rich,

I have the same problem and I've noticed that the fiber washer compresses with use so it's probably going to get worse.

The arms of the upper and lower parts of my head have a gap between them when no clamping force is applied. When clamping force is applied the arms of the upper head bend to an extent that only the very bottom edge of the upper arms come in contact with the lower part of the head. This small contact area limits the amount of pressure you can apply even if you use pliers to tighten the knob. I've tried to fix this by inserting a shim into the gap to keep the upper and lower arms parallel. This helps a little but it's not a complete fix.

Other than this one problem this head is perfect to me for this application so I'm going to try one more thing before I give up on it. I've ordered a lever handle that I hope will allow me to apply more force: MSC Industrial Supply - clamping lever

I should have the lever in a few days. I'll let you know how it works out.

3. Excellent Gene. Thanks. That handle looks great. I would try a couple more things before giving up if the clamp doesn't work. I thnk a metal washer (from Home depot) might help. Metal against metal might be better. Next, the screw going through is a #12, not even a 1/4-20. I would try a 1/4-28 fine bolt and nut by first drilling out the through hole. You can get tempered high tensile strength fine bolts from auto supply stores.

I'm eager to find out how the long handle fairs.

Rich

4. Did you try to insert additional/new rubber washers? I thought a decent hardware store should have something usable. I would try this first before going the "more force" route, as I think it won't help much if the contact surface is too small.

5. Thanks, I'll look at that too.

Rich

6. Feedback on the handle

Well, Gene's fix work like a charm. Here's a shot of the camera and lens mounted on the 3232. The device below is an extension I made to get the camera high enough for tree shots.

[​IMG]

Rich