Need High-End Help???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doug Barber, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Greetings All:
    I'm starting to put together a plan to do a (high-end) photo book and I'm looking for some input from people who might have the ability to add to my thought process....
    Do any of you fine folks have experience with printing photo's on canvas? I know this might be a hard issue to try and articulate via the web. But I’m wondering if some of you could articulate the visual difference one can expect to see with the same image first printed on paper and then printed on canvas.
    Just so everyone understands what I'm thinking about.... I'm considering creating a photo book where (all) the images would be printed 11 x 14 on canvas and then leather bound into a book form.
    Hope some here can give me a little help.

(bumped October 03 hoping for a little input)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2005
  2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Doug ,
    My printer here in Florida, Joe at Access Photographic Inc. does wonderful photo books.

He may be able to do, or lead you in the right direction. He is fantastic and a great photographer as well and PS guru to boot. Really nice person to.

I don't know what I would do with out him. He has been a trememdous help to this Big Dummy ...:>)))

Just tell him Gale sent ya... :>))))) He is fixing some images I botched of the Shuttle launch as we speak.

contact at.

321-636-7300

thats all the help I can give you. :>))))

3. Hey Doug,
    What part of Canuck are you in?
    Robin

4. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Wow what a project. Man, you don't do anything halfway, do you! :smile:
    The only experience I have with canvas is sending medium format negatives in to a lab and having prints done on canvas, but thats been years ago. Gale probably has the best idea with the fella in Florida. He probably knows several companies that can do this.
    Jarrell

5. Hi Robin:
    I split my time between Hay River NWT and Yorkton SK.

6. Hi Gale:
    Thanks for the recomendation...
    I'm not sure i'm looking for a printer for this project but I was looking for folks to tell me if they feel printing on canvas makes an image look better than the same image on paper.
    I've always been of the opinion that it does and its worth the extra $$ to print on canvas.
    So I guess I'm just wondering what others think.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Doug,

Must have misunderstood your question. Sorry.

I think canvas is quite classy myself. Looks more like a real painting. For the right images.

Have fun. When done I wish I could see. I am sure it will be beautiful.

8. Bumped October 03/05.... hoping for a little input

9. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

10. Doug, you need help with page layout. If you use a program like InDesignCS2, it is easy to organize information on a page, including pictures. That's what professionals do to get a book ready for publication. I'd help you out, but I don't have the time just now.

You might try and see if you can find someone near you with this kind of experience. Check the yellow pages, google etc. You might also find listings under desktop publishing.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

P.S. Another popular page layout program is Quark.

11. Angelo

Angelo

Sep 19, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Doug:

I have images printed on camvas quite regularly by my sign shop. You can search out a local shop and check out their pricing.

www.signarama.com

12. Hi Virginia:
    The page layout on this project is really very simple as there are 35 images all printed at 11 x 14. Between each page is a sheet of Mylar paper (like tracing paper) that allows the viewer to see the next image in a ghosted fashion. On this paper I print a small description of the image they are about to see as soon as they turn the page.
    so from a layout stand point this project really does not have any. But I do use Indesign quit a lot and will use it to create the little descriptions of the images.
    Thanks so much for your input.

13. Angelo:
    When you print an image on canvas and then the same image on paper. Is there a reduction of detail on the canvas version?
    Is it possible to articulate the differences one would see looking at the same image printed on both canvas and paper sitting right next to each other.

14. Doug, thanks for explaining in more detail what you want to do. This book sounds like one very, very expensive book to produce. How many copies do you plan to make? Every press and printer has different specifications, so my recommendation is that you talk to printers and see what they will require you to do. They can print on anything you specify.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

15. Hi:
    Yes this little book will not be cheep to print...
    This is the second (limited edition) book that I have done so I'm (hoping) the price will not scare the hell out of me.
    The variable in this book is the canvas issue... Mind you the school is still not out on that. My last book also had leather binding so the pricing for that part should be quit close to the same as last time.
    The last one I did I printed 250 copies and they were sold out before the book hit the street. I'm thinking I will also do the 250 - 300 range on this one, as I really want to keep the demand high so the book sells out as fast as possible.

Thanks for your comments....

16. Impressive, Doug. How much did you charge for the first book? On the question of canvas, I am wondering if that isn't better for something one hangs on the wall. Only way I think canvas would make a difference is if the images could be removed from the book and framed if someone wanted to.

Just thinking outloud.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

17. The thinking behind the canvas idea came from the fact that I had a few clients tell me they took the images from the last book out of the binding and framed them.
    As a result in my DEEP THINKING way I thought... Okay lets do them on canvas!
    I'm not sure if its one of my better ideas as I’m starting to get input back from some folks who tell me that a canvas print would need to be coated and might not stand up very well.
    As for the price of the last book... I sold them for $600.00(CDN) that is about .59 cents in USD....lol