1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Need honest opinions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chris C, Jul 31, 2008.

1. I've got a D70 which has had a problem since birth. I don't know any other way of describing it other than it "drops" the NEF image on about 10% of my shots. The jpeg image is still there and easily retrievable with a freeware program available on the internet. But the RAW image just isn't "available". No-one seems to know what to do about it and I've never sent it in to Nikon to find out..............it's just not that big a problem. The camera has also been dropped and the case is cracked.............but it's never caused any problems with the operation. Nikon said it wouldn't be worth the expense of replacing the case unless the case is broken to a point moisture could migrate. It's just cracked and it's no big deal.

I'm going to make a big change in my equipment inventory and want to sell this camera. Any opinions as to what a D70 with 11,455 shutter actuations, in this condition, might be worth?

P.S.

I won't be offended because I'm asking for honest opinions. I'm going to sell it or give it away if I have to. I just want it out of my inventory and am asking if it has value.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2008
  2. I'd try it get at least $200.00 to $250.00. If not, donate it to a school you may get a better tax write off.

3. Chris...
    you could bless a young, budding creative mind...

4. I'm not at all against donating to a cause. I just need to know it's worth.

5. A clean d70 is only worth $250 these days. The the cracked case puts your d70 in the "butt ugly" category. You'd have to price it at under $100 to sell in. But if you donate it to a school, you could probably claim the $250 tax write-off. Jmho.

6. KayB

KayB

Aug 17, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    If you would like to donate it to my school I can arrange for a receipt. I teach computer applications and would put it to good use with the kiddos...also our yearbook teacher would probably do a happy dance.

7. Just got off the phone with my tax accountant. Because of my tax position, he says it would be better for me to sell the camera outright and then donate the cash to whichever organization I want. He says that the IRS is getting really finicky about "item" donations. Cash donations are clear and simple.

8. luke_28

luke_28

May 12, 2008
    North
    While I'm not crazy about ebay, this sounds like a good item to put there. There will be many more eyeballs on it there and with a clear description of what they are getting, it should bring it's true current value.

9. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    I'm with Frank. I would not waste a few bucks on a cracked DSLR that will not deliver RAW files. Especially one that is several years old. I would almost rather buy a P&S. Buy a new camera and keep the D70 as a backup. If you were going to try to sell it to me, I am not sure I would give you $25 for it. Give it away and make someone happy.

10. There are other reasons to make a donation than simply the tax consequences. :rolleyes: 

11. I would say around $100. The occasional missed RAW shot really kills your resale value. That missed shot might be the shot of a life time. :0

12. I agree, give it away. I gave my D70 to my daughter, who has used the heck out of it. I get more pleasure from her pics than I would have gotten from the little bit of cash I could have received. Give to someone

13. I gave my F3HP to my daughter and made us both happy.

14. Very interesting comments and opinions, and I welcome them all.

I have no sons, no daughters, no grandchildren, no aspiring photographers living near me. The camera is worth something, especially since it's connected to a Nikon 18-200VR, which I'll no longer need. I'm still trying to decide just what choice to make. I know I'm getting out of Nikon..........and SLR equipment. Haven't set the camera on anything other than full-auto in so long I've decided to just buy a P&S. My work certainly isn't going to end up in the Louvre, afterall!

15. I don't know if this will work or not. If you want to donate the camera to the school as KayB stated, you can sell it to them for $250.00 and turn around a give that cash back to them and get a donation receipt. A win-win for both if it works out.. Worth a try IMHO..

16. Not worth the IRS grief if this came to light. Not sure the school would be on safe legal grounds either.

An outright donation to the school should not be a problem tax wise since it is under $500. The IRS would never question such a donation and this would be especially true since it has a lens attached.

17. Well, I'm not up on all the values, but wouldn't the lens alone be worth more than $500, Gordon?

18. Sorry Chris, I thought you were talking about the camera alone. And as Gordon mentioned, my suggestion may not be worth hassle with IRS..

About the lens, sorry to step in, but yes, it is worth over $500.00 by itself alone.

19. That's okay, Chandresh, I was responding to Gordon's comment, not yours. I was aware you hadn't any idea I also had the lens. But I'm figuring the lens and camera (even though the camera isn't up-to-snuff) ought to be worth somewhere in the $650 to $700 range, shouldn't it?

20. Given the condition, I would put both together for $650 or OBO.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.